[Corpora-List] Second Call for Papers: Games and NLP @ LREC 2022 (Deadline approaching)

Udo Kruschwitz Udo.Kruschwitz at ur.de
Wed Mar 30 23:36:28 CEST 2022

Second Call For Papers ====================

The 9th Workshop on Games and Natural Language Processing (Games and NLP 2022) @ LREC 2022 in Marseille, France

Website: https://gamesandnlp.com Date: 25 June 2022 Submission Deadline: 8 April 2022

Background =========

The 9th Games and Natural Language Processing (Games and NLP 2022)—to be held at LREC 2022 — will examine the use of games and gamification for Natural Language Processing (NLP) tasks, as well as how NLP research can advance player engagement and communication within games. The Games and NLP workshop aims to promote and explore the possibilities for research and practical applications of games and gamification that have a core NLP aspect, either to generate resources and perform language tasks or as a game mechanic itself. This workshop investigates computational and theoretical aspects of natural language research that would be beneficial for designing and building novel game experiences, or for processing texts to conduct formal game studies. NLP would benefit from games in obtaining language resources (e.g., construction of a thesaurus or a parser through a crowdsourcing game), or in learning the linguistic characteristics of game users as compared to those of other domains.

Topics of interest include: ===================

• Games for collecting data useful for NLP (games in planning, underdevelopment, or deployed)

• Gamification of NLP tasks (techniques, best practice and evaluation of gamification strategies)

• Player motivation and experience (strategies for recruitment/retention and player profiling)

• Game design (conceptual design elements and reports of success and/or failure of designs)

• Novel uses of natural language processing or generation as a game mechanic

• Natural language in games as an alternative method of input for people with disabilities

• Processing NLP game data (aggregation methods and strategies for minimising noise and cheating)

• Analysis of large-scale game-related corpora (e.g., game reviews, game play logs)

• Real-time sentiment analysis of player discourse or chat

• Evaluation of games for NLP (metrics for evaluating game performance, evaluating player performance, motivation and bias, and evaluating task difficulty)

• Serious games for learning languages

• Player immersion in language-enabled mixed reality or physically embodied games

• Narrative plot or text generation of text-based interactive narrative systems

• Natural language understanding and generation of character dialogue

• Ethical and privacy concerns of ownership of text and audio chat in massively multiplayer online games.

We encourage participants to share frequently used metrics for assessing game and player performance, further instructions for how to produce these can be found on our website.

Confirmed Keynote Speakers: =======================

• Jérôme Waldispühl (McGill University, Canada)

• Hikaru Yokono (Fujitsu Labs, Japan)

Important Dates: =============

• Submission Deadline: April 8th

• Notification of Acceptance: May 3rd

• Camera Ready Deadline: May 23rd

• Workshop: June 25th

Submissions: ==========

We invite submissions of full papers (8 pages), short papers (4 pages), and extended abstracts (2 pages). Page lengths are excluding references and metrics.

Full and short papers will present original research and appear in the workshop proceedings. Full and short papers will be presented as talks or at the poster and demo session, and the proceedings published on the LREC 2022 and Games and NLP 2022 websites.

Extended abstracts will showcase demonstrations, works in progress, and position papers. These papers will be non-archival and will provide authors with the opportunity to showcase ongoing work and focused, relevant contributions. All authors will be sent feedback and final decision of acceptance.

Review Process: =============

Full and short papers will be reviewed double blind by at least two of the programme committee before a meta-review by the organisers (so, please take care to anonymise your submissions). We encourage authors to take whatever space they need; papers will be judged on the merit of their ideas, not length. Extended abstracts will be reviewed by the organising committee. These submissions will be reviewed single blind by two of the programme committee before a meta-review by the organisers.

We acknowledge the difficulty of attending these events in person. For those with personal, financial, or political inability for travel we are happy to organize remote presentations.

Games and NLP is dedicated to a harassment-free experience for everyone. Our anti-harassment policy can be found in our Code of Conduct.

Organisers: =========

• Chris Madge, chair (Queen Mary University of London)

• Jon Chamberlain (University of Essex, UK)

• Karën Fort (Sorbonne Université, France)

• Udo Kruschwitz (University of Regensburg, Germany)

• Stephanie Lukin (U.S. Army Research Laboratory)

Program Committee: ================

• Alice Millour (Sorbonne Université)

• Andrew Gordon (University of Southern California, Institute of Creative Technology)

• Andrew Stern (Playabl Studios, US)

• Chris Cieri (Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania, US)

• Ian Horswill (Northwestern University)

• James Fiumara (Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania, US)

• Jonathan Lessard (Universite Condoria)

• Josh Miller (Northeastern University, US)

• Mariët Theune (University of Twente)

• Mathieu Lafourcade (LIRMM, France)

• Melissa Roemmele (SDL, US)

• Morteza Behrooz (University of California, Santa Cruz, US)

• Paulo F. Gomes (University of California Santa Cruz, US)

• Pedro Santos (INESC-ID & Instituto Superior Técnico, University of Lisbon)

• Richard Bartle (University of Essex, UK)

• Seth Cooper (Northeastern University, US)

• Valerio Basile (University of Turin, Italy)

• Verena Lyding (EURAC, Italy)

• Wookhee Min (North Carolina State University)

• Luis Morgado da Costa (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)

• Timothee Mickus (Université de Lorraine)