[Corpora-List] Job: Text Analysis Instructor, ITHAKA

Wed Mar 23 17:28:03 CET 2022

Dear all,

The folks at JSTORlabs are seeking a Text Analysis Instructor to support their current quantitative methods offerings. See the below advertisement for more information.

Best wishes, Heather Froehlich

***

*Title: *Text Analysis Instructor, ITHAKA

*Work Location: *Ann Arbor, MI or Remote

*The Role*

ITHAKA is seeking a Text Analysis Instructor to join the Constellate team ( https://constellate.org/). The team develops Constellate, an online platform for teaching, learning, and research in text analysis using Python and Jupyter notebooks. In this role, you will work on a cross-functional, close-knit team to develop educational resources and teach training workshops.

Constellate enables schools of all sizes to teach data and text analytics with a platform that empowers faculty, librarians, and other instructors to educate a new generation of learners in text and data analysis. Our solution, centered on student and researcher success, provides text and data analysis capabilities and access to content from some of the world’s most respected databases in an open environment with a variety of teaching materials that can be used, modified, and shared.

The role will be responsible for teaching regular courses in text analysis to Constellate users, demonstrating features of the platform, increasing user competency in text analysis, and building communities of practice. The role will also work closely with the rest of the Constellate team, joining in discussions around development and marketing.

This role is best performed by a person with a high level of natural curiosity, that is eager to learn, and with an inclination to action. The role will sometimes require moving forward on concepts that are only loosely defined. A person that is self-motivated and able to work with relatively high-level direction will do best in this role.

Our organization and this role are unique and will give you opportunities few other places can offer including:

- Teach professional development courses for higher education

professionals with a worldwide reach

- Author open educational resources with opportunities for large-scale

adoption

- Build communities of practice and exchange around text analysis

pedagogy

- Access to corpora of rich content and associated “big data” in the

development of tools and applications (JSTOR, Portico, etc.)

- Ability to have a large impact, due to JSTOR’s high traffic and

visibility

- Participate in directional decisions and development for Constellate

As a member of the Constellate team and the ITHAKA organization, the Text Analysis Instructor will have access to a diverse, knowledgeable, and helpful group of colleagues. Occasional travel may be required (up to 2-3 times per year), most often to our Ann Arbor and New York City offices.

*Responsibilities*

As a Text Analysis Instructor on the Constellate team, this role will provide opportunities to support the Constellate platform in several fashions. The primary responsibility will be writing—and teaching with—Jupyter notebooks for educators. A strong applicant will have experience teaching Python, especially Natural Language Processing libraries such as Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK), Gensim, spaCy, TextBlob, Word2Vec, and StanfordCoreNLP. Experience with Keras, TensorFlow, or Sci-Kit Learn is a plus. Applicants will be assessed based on their ability to create high-quality instruction materials and teach with those materials. They should be prepared to teach face-to-face and in virtual settings to audiences of various disciplines and skill levels, including data science, social sciences, and the digital humanities.

*Experience and Skills*

This position requires an instructor with experience in rule-based and data-based NLP. The instructor should be a life-time learner, driven to learn new methods in response to current research and educational trends. In addition to text analysis skills, the instructor should be prepared to develop educational materials such as images, audio, and video where appropriate.

Relevant skill areas are listed below in relative order of importance to the role.

- Experience with text analysis to derive information from large text

corpora of unstructured data. Examples would include experience with word

vectorization and machine learning.

- Experience teaching technical classes or workshops (virtual or

face-to-face contexts). An ability to take technical, complex topics and

express them clearly. Image, audio, and video editing are significant

benefits.

- A background in Data Science, Social Sciences, or Digital Humanities

would be valuable in this role, especially with established connections to

the larger academic community. Community-building experience is a benefit.

*Work For ITHAKA*

At ITHAKA we believe in openness and equity. Part of living those values is our commitment to clarity about salary, so candidates know what to expect. The pay range for this position is ($65,000 - $75,000) per year. Base pay may vary with job-related knowledge, skills, experience, market location, and geography. Our total compensation package includes a no-cost health insurance premium option, an employer-funded retirement plan, and a generous paid time off program for all benefits-eligible staff.

We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust. Our team is passionate about our mission and supporting one another. We enjoy working together to create opportunities for people to learn and grow out in the world, and we bring that same commitment to helping our teammates develop in our careers and our lives. One of our core values is belonging. We embrace differences, and believe that the things that make each of us unique are the things that help us see new insights and build better solutions.

Learn more about Working at ITHAKA <https://www.ithaka.org/careers/>.

*Apply Now:*

Interested candidates can submit their resume, a detailed cover letter, and salary requirements at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/ITH1000ITHAK/JobBoard/5fe90ad4-9e26-490b-9c45-6c9669d4dcd0/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=d2f815f8-cf53-42e5-a17c-fe67e234849e .

We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.

-- Dr Heather Froehlich -- Dr Heather Froehlich

w // http://hfroehli.ch t // @heatherfro -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 12301 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20220323/eda14ef2/attachment.txt>