Please, find enclosed the announcement of the 18th International Symposium on Social Communication to be held in Santiago de Cuba, January 23 through the 27, 2023.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you in Santiago de Cuba.
Dr. Leonel Ruiz Miyares President of the Organizing Committee Centro de Linguistica Aplicada Agencia de Ciencias Sociales y Humanísticas Ministerio de Ciencia, Tecnologia y Medio Ambiente Calle 9 Nr. 253 entre 10 y 12. Vista Alegre Santiago de Cuba 4, Cuba, C.P. 90400 Telephones: 53-22646390; 53-22646910, ext. 102 E-mail: simposio at cla.ciges.inf.cu
Web site of our International Symposiums on Social Communication: http://www.cla.cu/simposio/indexEN.php
Web site of the Centre for Applied Linguistics: http://www.cla.cu/clanuevo/en/
Web site of our Basic School Dictionary: http://ixa2.si.ehu.es/dbe/index.html
[To spread, please, thank you. Apologies if you receive this announcement more than once.]
18th INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SOCIAL COMMUNICATION
CENTRE FOR APPLIED LINGUISTICS
SANTIAGO DE CUBA, JANUARY 23-27, 2023
The Centre for Applied Linguistics of the Agency of Social Sciences and Humanistics Santiago de Cuba’s branch of the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment, is pleased to announce the 18th International Symposium on Social Communication.
The event will be held in Santiago de Cuba, January 23 through the 27, 2023. This interdisci- plinary event will focus on social communication processes from the points of view of Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Medicine, Mass Media, and Art, Ethnology and Folklore.
The Symposium will be also sponsored by:
. University of Oriente, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba . Provincial Branch of Writers and Artists Association, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba . African Cultural Centre "Fernando Ortiz", Santiago de Cuba, Cuba . Basque Country University, Basque Country . Semantic Technology Institute (STI), University of Innsbruck, Austria . Centre of Lexicography, Aarhus University, Denmark . University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany . University of Verona, Verona, Italy . University of Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy . Pontifical Catholic University of Vaparaiso, Valparaiso, Chile . Latino Education and Advocacy Days Organization (LEAD), California St. University, USA
Authors will be allowed to present only one paper pertaining to the following disciplines:
- Applied Linguistics - Phonetics and Phonology - Lexicology and Lexicography - Quantitative Linguistics - Morphology and Syntax - Anthropology Linguistics or Ethnolinguistics - Textual Linguistics and Pragmalinguistics - Sociolinguistics - Spanish and foreign language teaching - Spanish as a second language - Terminology - Translations - Linguistics Rights - Linguistics Policy
2. Computational Linguistics:
- Software related to linguistics research - Automated grammatical tagging of texts - Electronic dictionaries - Software related to the teaching
of mother tongues and foreign languages - Information extraction and its applications - Speech recognition and synthesis - Related issues
3. Medical specialties related to speech and voice and with Social Communication in general:
- Logopedy and Phoniatry - Neurology - Otorhinolaryngology - Stomatology
4. Mass Media:
- Linguistics research related to the
speech of journalists, actors and
radio and television announcers - Textual Analysis of radio and
television programs, and of print
and electronic media articles
5. Art, Ethnology and Folklore:
- Research related to Social Communication
6. Communication and Education:
- Studies related to teaching of the mother
tongue and other related subjects
Activities that will take place within the event are:
- Presymposium seminars - Keynote speeches - Discussion of papers in commissions - Books presentation - Cultural activities
The Symposium will be preceded by two seminars that will be taught by prestigious specialists. The seminars will take place Monday, January 23th, 2023.
The courses will be:
"Natural Language Processing in historical texts" Dr. Izaskun Etxeberria IXa Group. University of the Basque Country Basque Country
"School text and coherence relations: theory, methods and implications" Dr. Romualdo Ibáñez Orellana Dr. Andrea Santana Covarrubias Pontifical Catholic University of Vaparaiso Valparaíso, Chile
Participants should say in advance what presymposium seminars they want to take part in. An additional fee of 50.00 EUROS will be charged for each seminar. Participation certificates will be available.
In this Symposium several plenary conferences will be given, which will be offered by prestigious specialists.
Already confirmed their attendance:
Prof. Dr. Anton Nijholt Professor and researcher Twente University Enschede, The Netherlands
Prof. Dr. Luis Fernando Lara Professor and researcher El Colegio de México México
The deadline of submission of papers is July 1st, 2022. The papers should not exceed 5 pages. Notification of acceptance of a paper by the Symposium’s Scientific Committee will be sent before July 31st, 2022.
To enable the Organizing Committee to include the Proceedings as part of the Symposium’s documentation -as we did since 1997-, accepted papers must be sent before August 15, 2022 if the Scientific Committee had done some observations.
Requirements for papers:
1. The paper will not exceed 5 pages including graphics, footnotes and bibliography.
2. It should be written using Word 6.0 or Word 7.0 for Windows and sent to the Symposium’s address: simposio at cla.cu as attached file.
3. Each page must be written in an A4 format with left, right, top, and bottom margin of 2.5 cm.
4. The paper must be written in one of the event’s official languages: Spanish, English, French or Portuguese.
5. The pages of the text should be unnumered.
Instructions for paper submission:
1. Write down the authors' names, one under the other, at the left top of the first page, all in Arial bold capital letters, 9 points (Word 6.0 or 7.0). Under the author's name(s) should appear in bold (only initials capital letters) the institution, city, country and e-mail address.
2. In a separate line, at the center, the title of the paper must be written in Arial bold, italics, 10 points size letters.
3. The text will follow -not in bold- with the same Arial letter, 9 points size and no leaving space between lines.
4. Paragraphs will have no indentation. Spaces between paragraphs will be of 1.5 points.
5. Section titles will be written in Arial bold, 9 points size and sub-sections titles will be written in Arial Italic, 8 points size.
6. Footnotes will appear at the end of each page in Arial 8 points size letters.
Presentation time will be 15 minutes.
OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: Spanish, English, French and Portuguese
Speakers and Delegates 200.00 EUROS
Companions 100.00 EUROS
Payment of the fee must be sent before December 15, 2022 via bank transfer to the bank account to be announce opportunely and it covers a copy of the Proceedings where your paper is printed, all other documentation related to the event, speaker’s certificate, welcome cocktail and other cultural activities. Companions will have access to all of the above, except copies of the Proceedings.
The Organizing Committee guarantees accommodation in 3, 4, and 5 star hotels with preferential prices for participants in the event.
- Papers submission deadline:
July 1st, 2022
- Notification on paper’s
approval by Scientific Committee:
by July 31st, 2022
- Delivery of papers by e-mail:
August 15, 2022 (in case of the
observations done by the Scientific
- Payment of registration fee:
Until December 15, 2022
- Presymposium seminars:
January 23, 2023
- 18th International Symposium
on Social Communication:
January 24 through 27, 2023
OTHER ASPECTS OF INTEREST
Santiago de Cuba, located at some 900 km from Havana, is Cuba's second largest city. Its economic, cultural and social importance in Cuban history is unquestionable. Santiago is also the capital of the province with the same name. Surrounded by the green mountains of the Sierra Maestra range and the Caribbean Sea, Santiago is unique in its geography and beautiful landscape. Its surroundings make the city one of the most important tourist attractions on the entire island. The Organizing Committee, in coordination with the city's tourist agencies will offer visiting delegates a host of options allowing participants to enjoy the city's beauty and charm.
SCIENTIFIC AND ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Leonel Ruiz Miyares Director of Centre for Applied Linguistics President of the Organizing Committee Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Nancy Cristina Alamo Suárez Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Alex Munnoz Alvarado Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Humberto Ocanna Dayar Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Javier Tamayo Lozada Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Rolando Urrutia Cleger Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Marta Cordies Jackson Director African Cultural Centre "Fernando Ortiz" Santiago de Cuba, Cuba
Anton Nijholt Twente University Enschede, The Netherlands
Kathleen Wermke University of Würzburg Würzburg, Germany
Sylviane Cardey Centre Tesnière Université de Franche-Comté Besançon, France
Arantza Diaz de Ilarraza Basque Country University Basque Country
Innaki Alegría Loinaz Basque Country University Basque Country
Xabier Artola Zubillaga Basque Country University Basque Country
Xabier Arregi Iparragirre Basque Country University Basque Country
Dieter Fensel Director Semantic Technology Institute (STI) Innsbruck, Austria
Sven Tarp University of Aarhus Aarhus, Denmark
Lucia Marconi Institute for Computational Linguistics Chapter Genoa, Italy
Paola Cutugno Institute for Computational Linguistics Chapter Genoa, Italy
Rosa María Rodríguez Abella Università degli Studi di Verona Verona, Italia
Luisa Chierichetti Università degli Studi di Bergamo Bergamo, Italia
Romualdo Ibáñez Orellana Pontifical Catholic University of Vaparaiso Valparaiso, Chile
Jorge Antonio Leoni de León Costa Rica University San Jose, Costa Rica
Luis Alfonso Urenna Lopez President of the NLP Spanish Association (SEPLN) Jaen University Jaen, Spain
Enrique G. Murillo, Jr. LEAD, California State University, USA
Maria Rosa Alvarez Silva Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Adriana Vinnas Dominguez Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Angel Maqueira Aroche Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Fidelia Pozo Pozo Centre for Applied Linguistics Santiago de Cuba Cuba
Paper title: __________________________