[Corpora-List] Fwd: Fw: SketchEngine CEO: No “business as usual” with Russia anymore

Alexey Lavrentev alexei.lavrentev at ens-lyon.fr
Thu Mar 17 15:10:42 CET 2022

Dear all,

The statement of Russian rectors is unfortunately not a fake. It should be noted that rectors (presidents of universities) are appointed directly by the minister of education, are very well paid (compared to faculty members and staff), and the ministry can easily cut a great part of the funding if a university does not "behave well".

I know that at least some universities do as much as they can to protect students and faculty who participate in actions against the war.

Many colleagues that I know personally and who are still in Russia have signed an open letter published on the EADH website (https://eadh.org). I admire their courage.

As far as the original issue of this thread is concerned, I don't think the decision of SketchEngine to discontinue its business in Russia may be of any harm to Putin's regime. And I think that no longer having access to SketchEngine is the least of the problem for Russian scholars who are still able to do research.

While suspending all SketchEngine accounts funded by the Russian government or public institutions seems a sensible measure, SketchEngine might at the same time provide free access to all those individual scholars who wish work on debunking Putin's propaganda and promoting access to independent news sources on what is happenning in the Ukraine. I don't know if it's technically feasible though.

Speaking more generally of sanctions, I am afraid that this is the only way the West can undermine Putin's war machine without increasing the risk of a nuclear war, which is real. The population will suffer but when the industries producing weapons will stop, many lives will be saved.

Alexei Lavrentiev Ingénieur de recherche UMR 5317 IHRIM, CNRS, Lyon, France