[Corpora-List] Fw: SketchEngine CEO: No “business as usual” with Russia anymore

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:30:06 CET 2022

Dear colleagues,

thanks for making this public, and it hit a nerve as almost everyone seems to congratulate SketchEngine to this step. At the same time, as scientists we should actually look a little bit beyond the current hysteria (how well justified it might be) and try to analyze the situation in a broader context.

One aspect of this picture are the core facts, i.e., to condemn Russia for the invasion of the Ukraine, and that there are good reasons to not accept Russian state funds anymore. I think that outside Russia (and even among considerable portions of the Russian population), neither of this is controversial.

But another aspect of this picture is that such a declaration is somewhat disproportionate. In particular, I don't recall any similar action during any other comparable event in the last 30 years. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) And despite common perceptions, we had (and we continue to have) plenty of these. Outside NATO countries, there is a strong impression that this involves some degree of discrimination and racism (e.g., https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/27/western-media-coverage-ukraine-russia-invasion-criticism). I don't think this is necessarily true, and in fact I fully understand that a threat from Russia feels somewhat more serious to Europeans and Americans raised during the Cold War than anything happening in the Near East, Africa, Asia or even in south-eastern Europe -- but we have to keep in mind that this involves a psychological bias that most of the world's population does not share. I mean, if language technology providers would seriously commit to pacifism and uphold this position in all directions, that would be a great thing -- but economically, this would not be feasible. In a market economy, this can work only if all market participants adhere to the same policy -- and, indeed, this doesn't seem to be what is suggested here.

Yet another aspect is that, as far as unpaid services are concerned, this is a symbolic act that will disrupt digital lexicography in Russia on a short term, but one for which workarounds can be relatively easily found. Personally, I am more sympathetic with the position of StackExchange ( https://meta.stackexchange.com/questions/376743/stack-exchange-qa-access-will-not-be-restricted-in-russia?cb=1), that is to formulate a clear position against war and aggression, to monitor and to regulate possible violations against this position, but not to try to erect technical obstacles that can be trivially overcome by a proxy server. (And in fact, also paid services can be accessed via proxy companies, just as in the good old days.)

More generally, this is part of a broader process of decoupling Russia from academic infrastructures and communication ( https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2022/03/02/decoupling-from-russia/). That might indeed be necessary as far as military innovation is concerned (and remember that this includes language technology), but it is a two-sided sword, as it will destroy yet another soft communication channel that at some point in the future might be needed to build new bridges to replace those that we are just about to burn. I would stay cautious here.

Overall, I am sympathetic for Miloš' position from a moral and political standpoint, but with these considerations in mind, I consider shutting down SketchEngine a questionable act -- but one that any entrepreneur is free to take.

Best regards, Christian