[Corpora-List] SketchEngine CEO: No “business as usual” with Russia anymore

Eric Atwell E.S.Atwell at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 11:50:35 CET 2022

Thank you Mike, Anna, Bilal, Geoffrey for your comments.

It seems not everyone agrees with everything; below is a response from a Leeds Uni student; sources of information are not specified but I suspect mainly social media.

Maybe this is an opportunity to collect a SketchEngine corpus of fake news?

Here is a short tutorial on fake news detection, by Leeds PhD student Saud Althabiti https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BV_0dpC7g0&ab_channel=SaudAlthabiti

Eric Atwell, Professor of Artificial Intelligence for Language

School of Computing, Uni of LEEDS, UK

Response from a Leeds student user of SketchEngine:

"This statement is extremely fascist and hateful even though hidden behind nice words. I am writing you this to warn you about the dangerous things happening to the west, as my country was once under SSSR influence and control I can safely say the west is copying a lot of the things the SSSR was doing - heavy censorship and propaganda against the other side as well as depicting those people as evil and spreading "bad things".

Those actions are in every sense ethically wrong as well as xenophobic. What is happening now is a complicated political conflict with many countries playing a big part in it and Russia is far from being the main culprit for the war(even though this is hidden from people in the west).

The argument for science being political is an extremely fascist and very dangerous way of thinking. For all jobs, the money comes from the government one way or another this shouldn't mean that you must be a pawn of that government and obey its political views. Politics has no place in science and art, and this shouldn't even be a question.

To get in out of the way I am not Russian, and I am not a fan of Russia nor is my country but the amount of hate and propaganda toward it is just insane.

I understand that Russia is being depicted as this bad country always wanting to start a war and the good west is saving people and democracy. But I really want you to understand how far from the truth this is, Russia had 0 foreign actions until the Putin speech in Munich 2007 and the rest of the actions have been mainly a response to actions of the west. If you are interested in the matter, I recommend checking Vladimir Pozner and his speech at Yale for example(from 2018 if I am not mistaken) he is a French lived in the USA and moved to SSSR, so he has a very broad viewpoint and at this speech, he talked about all the things that are happening now. If you want the short version of the situation, it's as follows: NATO tried to put nuclear-capable "defence" rockets in most countries surrounding Russia - Romania, Poland, Ukraine to name a few and spread its influence in a lot of the countries from the Eastern Block and ex SSSR which the west promised not to do and this was used as a deal to let the SSSR free East Germany. On top of that people in Donbas are Russians and they want to be part of Russia and have been abused by the Ukrainian government, how much and to what extent is not exactly known, what we know is that Ukraine has been actively banning and removing Russian(language) from Universities and School in the last decade. The other thing is that people in western Europe are extremely racist and it's not even a question so it's not hard to believe that those Russians in Ukraine have been abused because we know that Bulgarians have been abused and killed in Odesa in the last decade.

So please don't spread propaganda against Russia, the political situation is complicated, and war is never the answer and a lot of countries have done wrong and have fault for this course of action(including Russia of course) but you can't put the blame on only one country. " ________________________________ From: Geoffrey Williams <geoffrey.williams at univ-ubs.fr> Sent: 09 March 2022 10:17 To: Eric Atwell <E.S.Atwell at leeds.ac.uk> Cc: CORPORA at UIB.NO <corpora at uib.no> Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] SketchEngine CEO: No “business as usual” with Russia anymore

A highly appropriate statement that I fully support. I have passed it on to students and also to colleagues in Romania and the Czech Republic who aren’t corpora members but who do use SketchEngine.

My admiration for the solidarity being shown by frontline states as Poland,Romania and the Czech Republic is immense.

Geoffrey