[Corpora-List] Assistant Professor position in NLP at Maastricht University

Spanakis, Jerry (DKE) jerry.spanakis at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Mon Jan 10 18:55:04 CET 2022

Hi all and happy new year!

My department (Data Science and Knowledge Engineering) at Faculty Science and Engineering at Maastricht University is looking for an Assistant Professor on Natural Language Processing (all areas are a go!). Deadline is February 1st.

I enclose the job posting below. If you have any questions about the department, university, city etc. feel free to hit me up, I am happy to assist you!

Stay healthy, -Jerry

————————

The Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering (DKE) at Maastricht University is excited to welcome a new colleague who is keen to continue growing our research and to keep up our excellent standard of education. We invite applications for an assistant professor position in computer science, focused on natural language processing (NLP). The position is open to all areas of NLP. We are particularly interested in candidates who have expertise in applying NLP in areas such as human-machine interaction, cognitive and social robotics, decision making, text mining, dialogue and communicative systems, automated argumentation, question answering, machine translation, information extraction, and NLP for social goods. As an assistant professor, you will undertake cutting-edge research in an academic environment that is intellectually stimulating, welcoming, and collaborative. You will also contribute to our top-rated education, which is integrated with ongoing research in the department. More specifically, you will:

* Conduct leading research in your field of expertise;

* Teach courses at the bachelor and master level (in English);

* Supervise students at all levels (BSc, MSc, PhD);

* Network and collaborate with internal and external research partners;

* Apply for research funding on a national and European level.

Our ideal candidate has:

* A PhD degree in computer science, computational linguistics, machine learning, applied mathematics, engineering, or a strongly related field;

* At least 1 year working experience in an academic environment post-PhD;

* A track record in research and teaching

* Experience with applying for research funding;

* Experience with guiding Bachelor/Master/PhD students;

* Fluent mastery of the English language;

* A personality characterized by team spirit, ambition, and vision;

* A keenness to build bridges between disciplines and to work in an interdisciplinary environment.

We will help you develop yourself as a teacher and obtain a University Teaching Qualification (BKO, for basiskwalificatie onderwijs: an official certification for teaching at Dutch universities) through a training programme, in case you are not yet certified. Conditions of employment Fixed-term contract: 18 months + option permanent contract. We offer a position (1.0 FTE) as Assistant Professor (universitair docent), starting as soon as possible. Upon satisfactory performance in the one and a half year probationary period, this initially 18 months position will become permanent. We offer a salary as stipulated in the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities. Within this framework, we offer a competitive salary with a minimum of € 3,821 and a maximum of € 5.943 per month (depending on your experience) for a full-time position of 38 hours/week. On top of this, there is an annual holiday allowance (8% of annual income) and an annual end-of-year bonus (8.3% of annual income). Applicants from outside The Netherlands may be eligible for the so-called 30% ruling, a tax cut for highly skilled migrants that applies for a maximum of five years. If you are moving to Maastricht from more than 40 kilometers away, you may qualify for a one-time reimbursement of your relocation costs The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Local UM provisions also apply. Notable terms include a pension scheme, an optional collective healthcare plan and partially paid parental leave. Furthermore, UM makes use of a selection model, which allows you to exchange employment conditions to adapt them to your preferences and circumstances. For more information look at the website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl<http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/> > About UM > Working at UM<https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/about-um/working-um>. The Department of Data Science and Knowledge Engineering Founded in 1992, we are a fast-growing department undertaking internationally respected research in the areas of data science, computer science, artificial intelligence, applied mathematics, and robotics. Much of our research takes place at the interfaces of these disciplines. We maintain a large network of industry partners and provide education through one bachelor’s programme and two master’s programmes, all of which are nationally ranked #1 in their cohort according to the most recent education rankings. Our new colleague(s) will be joining a tight-knit department consisting of ~60 principal investigators, postdocs and PhD students, 800 BSc and MSc students and a team of 15 dedicated support staff members. Together, we come from over 40 different countries. https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/dke Application procedure If you are interested in the position of Assistant Professor in Computer Science / NLP at DKE, we welcome you to apply via Academic Transfer: https://www.academictransfer.com/en/308094/assistant-professor-in-computer-science-with-a-focus-on-natural-language-processing/ Please send in the following documents:

* Research statement;

* Teaching statement;

* CV;

* List of publications;

* Contact information (names, e-mail addresses, and phone number) of two persons willing to provide references.

Applications received by (end of day) January 31, 2022 will receive full consideration. The position will remain open until filled, and we may call you in for an interview either in person or via Skype (depending on your location/COVID-19 travel restrictions). We strongly believe in diversity (including but not limited to nationality, age and gender) and encourage you to apply if you are qualified for this position. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 13082 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20220110/fe5b6524/attachment.txt>