[Corpora-List] From Listadm: Corpora list will be terminated in the beginning of May after 30 years

Diana Santos dianamsmpsantos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:56:20 CEST 2022

Dear Knut, dear corpora-list fellows,

This is indeed a very sad piece of news, and I hasten to volunteer, as several previous people have, to host it if necessary. The corpora-list is by far the most successful and varied list I've subscribed to (more than 20 years ago), and Knut Hofland is one of the most dedicated corpora people there is! The service he has been doing for our community is priceless!

But I would like to reflect on what this shows:

- that it is OK for an IT department of a University to do such a change, that harms researchers they should be serving, and getting away with it. Only one person (Milos) commented on the tragedy that it is to go proprietary for mail servers.

- I was also left wondering where are all the infrastructure projects and organizations that deal with resources and corpora, like the LDC, ELRA, or CLARIN, to name just some? Isn't a list like the corpora-list something that is an integral part of a community of ideas and science, that deals with resources, and should therefore be considered part of am R&D infrastructure?

I think this is serious, and as a community, we should give it serious consideration.

Best Diana