[Corpora-List] CfP: 44th Translating and the Computer Conference

Plum, Alistair J. A.J.Plum at wlv.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:37:14 CEST 2022

[Apologies for cross-posting]

44th Translating and the Computer Conference

In the week of 21 November 2022

Call for proposals

The TC44 Organising Committee invites proposals for this year’s TC edition which, following tradition, will take the form of peer-reviewed presentations and posters and will feature panel discussions and workshops.

Conference topics

Contributions are welcome on any topic related to technologies used in translation and interpreting, especially the semantic technologies, to create, update, maintain, and effectively visualise and share not only corpora but also reference data. The latter become essential for all aspects of cross-lingual tools to enhance their technical and semantic interoperability, and induce an overhaul of:

* applications – machine translation (MT) and interpreting tools, translation memory software, terminology management systems (TMS), customisations, training and tuning of MT engines,

* services – subtitling, use of natural language processing (NLP) for translation and interpreting as well as localisation,

* technical implementations – interoperability aspects, translation workflows, and

* procedures – quality assessment and control, translation management,

* as well as a recast and transformation of initial and ongoing training programmes.

The Organising Committee strongly encourages the submission of proposals on innovative approaches to these aspects and would welcome critical reviews and analyses of:

* the impact of NLP, deep learning (DL) and human-driven artificial intelligence (AI) in general on the rapidly changing translation and interpreting industries,

* ergonomics and suitability of tools and resources for translators and interpreters,

* the collaboration between translators and language service providers (LSPs), and

* mobile technologies applied to translation and interpreting.

Virtual or on-site conference

While we are very much hoping that we shall be able to hold an on-site conference again, it remains to be seen whether the health and geopolitical situations worsen such that an on-site event is not feasible. We shall be closely monitoring the situation and plan to take a decision in late June-early July whether the conference can be held in-person in London as all conferences from the first to the 41st editions were, or even in-person at an alternate location. If not safe or feasible, we shall opt again for a virtual event as we did for the very successful TC42 and TC43 events.

Submission

We seek proposals for original unpublished papers and posters, as well as proposals for workshops and discussion panels. Papers and posters may report on research, commercial translation and interpretation products or user experiences. Proposals should be submitted via the START conference submission system at www. softconf.com/m/tc2022/<http://www.softconf.com/m/tc2022/> . Those who cannot use the START system, or prefer not to, have the option to submit their proposals directly by email to submissions at asling.org<mailto:submissions at asling.org>. For further information on submission types and milestone dates refer to the Conference website at http://www.asling.org/tc44/in the “For Speakers” menu. Programme Committee membership, final paper formats and templates will be added to the site closer to the conference dates.

The deadline for submitting abstracts for papers and posters and for workshop and panel proposals will be announced later, but the Organising Committee encourages you to submit proposals by 1 June 2022.

Further information and contact details

All relevant information including conference sponsors and keynote speakers will be published on the Conference website as soon as they become available.

For further information, please email <tc44-info at asling.org>.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 10996 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20220426/e2b0c94e/attachment.txt>