[Corpora-List] Participant pool exchange: Please help to recruit UK students for my survey

Phoebe Lin lmsphoebe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:03:00 CEST 2022

Hi,

I am an applied linguist based in Hong Kong. I am conducting a Hong Kong Research Grants Council-funded project entitled “The learnability of 41,973 English formulaic expressions: A predictive model and a normative database <https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/cergprod/scrrm00542.jsp?proj_id=15600121&old_proj_id=null&proj_title=&isname=lin&ioname=phoebe&institution=&subject=&pages=1&year=&theSubmit=15600121>”, which requires crowd-sourcing ratings from about 700 native speakers of British English. Due to the pandemic, travel to the UK for data collection has become impossible.

May I ask if anyone would be interested in some kind of participant pool exchange? In other words, I will help to recruit native speakers of Cantonese and Mandarin for your studies through my university’s participant pool in exchange for your help with sharing news about my paid online survey among your students.

*The learnability of 41,973 English formulaic expressions: A predictive model and a normative database*

We invite *18-30 year-old native speakers of British English who are current university/college students* to take part in a survey of English idiomatic expressions. This academic research project will allow us to develop new vocabulary syllabi for learners of English-as-a-foreign-language. Therefore, your participation will make a difference to the future of English language teaching. If you can spare 20 minutes to look at some idiomatic expressions on your laptop/desktop, you will *get a 5 Amazon UK gift card, and a chance to win 50 *(4 winners in the lucky draw).

Here is the link to the survey: *https://2022survey.idiomstube.com/familiarity_survey <https://secure-web.cisco.com/1Uy0aVVWUZV7hxiANGiOpgLEg9zp3t3p9pZGs86mBUlcd_YtGVT5aAQmV5ls0L_D-BnDCOGeioyRvwNTc43Gb_x5dXSgwPbcyCYiKPVa1dYWudm81OaaAGshtPouyr6M4dZ2B12-57y7xONcsxJZBXDUnhqVaFnLRGS6eAAo1ua2Ge_nsN1lKWHehKrAvEZMNjnNEKFBk_FlGkfL9Wnu6GuLezZPOAS7JOOxfQWD7C2Twh30A78xithdeTWhgGEW8WUMxOnzeNoy3l1ipVf75W104UpgBclejp1rkCR4AplJtFZy24sW-pTw-cWaOi5-9/https%3A%2F%2F2022survey.idiomstube.com%2Ffamiliarity_survey>*

The research has been approved by my university’s Institutional Review Board (IRB). I am happy to provide more information if anyone is interested.

Thank you,

Phoebe Lin

Assistant Professor

Department of English and Communication

The Hong Kong Polytechnic University

Website: https://www.polyu.edu.hk/engl/people/academic-staff/dr-phoebe-ms-lin/

Email: phoebe.lin at polyu.edu.hk -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 7861 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20220412/dbd3643c/attachment.txt>