[Corpora-List] [HiTZ-zentroa] Webinar by Sam Bowman (New York University)

HiTZ zentroa webinars.hitz at ehu.eus
Mon Apr 4 09:36:09 CEST 2022

**** We apologize for the multiple copies of this email. In case you are already registered to the next webinar, you do not need to register again. ****

Dear colleague,

We are happy to announce the next webinar in the Language Technology webinar series organized by the HiTZ research center (Basque Center for Language Technology, http://hitz.eus). We are organizing one seminar every month. You can check the videos of previous webinars and the schedule for upcoming webinars here: http://www.hitz.eus/webinars

Next webinar: * Speaker: Sam Bowman (New York University) * Title: When Combating Hype, Proceed with Caution * Date: December 2, 2021, 15:00 CET * Summary: Researchers in NLP increasingly frame and discuss research results in ways that serve to deemphasize the field's successes, at least in part in an effort to combat the field's widespread hype. Though well-meaning, this often yields misleading or even false claims about the limits of our best technology. This is a problem, and it may be more serious than it looks: It harms our credibility in ways that can make it harder to mitigate present-day harms, from NLP deployments, like those involving discriminatory systems for content moderation or resume screening. It also limits our ability to prepare for the potentially enormous impacts of more distant future advances. This talk urges researchers to be careful about these claims and suggests some research directions and communication strategies that will make it easier to avoid or rebut them. * Bio: Sam Bowman has been on the faculty at NYU since 2016, when he completed PhD with Chris Manning and Chris Potts at Stanford. At NYU, he is a member of the Center for Data Science, the Department of Linguistics, and Courant Institute's Department of Computer Science. His research focuses on data, evaluation techniques, and modeling techniques for sentence and paragraph understanding in natural language processing, and on applications of machine learning to scientific questions in linguistic syntax and semantics. He is the senior organizer behind the GLUE and SuperGLUE benchmark competitions and he has received a 2015 EMNLP Best Resource Paper Award, a 2019 *SEM Best Paper Award, a 2017 Google Faculty Research Award, and a 2021 NSF CAREER award.

Upcoming webinars: * Speech Representations and Processing in Deep Neural Networks -- Odette Sharenborg (January 13, 2022) * Talking with Robots: Are We Nearly There Yet? -- Roger Moore (February 3)

Check past and upcoming webinars at the following url: http://www.hitz.eus/webinars If you are interested in participating, please complete this registration form: http://www.hitz.eus/webinar_izenematea

If you cannot attend this seminar, but you want to be informed of the following HiTZ webinars, please complete this registration form instead: http://www.hitz.eus/webinar_info

Best wishes,

HiTZ Zentroa -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 4074 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20220404/c2cc5d8e/attachment.txt>