[Corpora-List] Funded Fall 2022 PhD student opportunities: School of Information Sciences, Illinois (due Nov 1 2021)

Halil Kilicoglu halil.kilicoglu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 18:40:38 CEST 2021

(Apologies for cross posting)

We invite applications to our world-renowned and highly interdisciplinary doctoral program at the School of Information Sciences (iSchool) at the University of Illinois. Our students have backgrounds in a broad range of fields, including the arts, humanities, social sciences, computing, and artificial intelligence. Our students receive one-on-one mentorship from faculty who have a global reputation for research excellence in a range of overlapping areas:

- Archives & Digital Curation: information preservation; data curation;

data provenance

- Artificial Intelligence & Data Science: information management;

machine learning; natural language processing; data mining; data

governance; information visualization; privacy, security and trust;

reproducibility

- Digital Humanities: cultural analytics, distant reading, computational

music analysis, digital history

- Health, Medical & Bioinformatics: learning healthcare systems,

clinical informatics, biomedical ontologies, implementation science, health

in social media, privacy in health, health devices, global health, evidence

based medicine, semantic representations in medicine

- Human-Computer Interaction: computer supported cooperative work;

design and evaluation of information systems and services; mobile

computing; user experience

- Information Organization & Access: information literacy; information

retrieval; foundations of information

- Information, Culture & Society: community, cultural, and social

informatics; diversity and social justice; information policy; science and

technology studies; youth services

- Library Technologies & Services: digital libraries; education of

information and professionals; libraries and librarianship

- Science of Science: knowledge representation and ontologies;

bibliometrics, informetrics and scientometrics

- Social Computing & Computational Social Science: crisis informatics;

computing for social good; social networks; FATE (fairness, accountability,

transparency, ethics)

For a comprehensive list of research areas, see: https://ischool.illinois.edu/research/areas. For more about our faculty visit http://ischool.illinois.edu/people/faculty.

The School's flexible program prepares students with the intellectual guidance and experiences necessary for vibrant research careers in a wide range of academic, business, and public sector settings. Accepted students are guaranteed five years of funding in the form of research, teaching, and service assistantships, which include tuition waivers and stipends. We also offer travel support. We especially encourage students from historically and statistically underrepresented minority groups to apply.

Our PhD program in Information Science is the oldest existing LIS doctoral program in the U.S. with 270 graduates. Recent graduates are now faculty members at institutions such as the University of Michigan, University of Washington, University of Maryland, Drexel, and UCLA, professionals at Baidu, Google, Twitter, Uber and AbbVie, and academic library professionals at the Library of Congress, Princeton University, and the University of Chicago.

APPLICATION

For more information about the application process, please visit: https://ischool.illinois.edu/degrees-programs/phd-information-sciences/apply

Application deadline (For full consideration for nomination for a Graduate College fellowship) is November 01, 2021.

For additional information about our PhD program, see https://ischool.illinois.edu/degrees-programs/phd-information-sciences

For questions, please contact Prof. Michael Twidale, PhD Program Director, at ischool-phd at illinois.edu.

*HALIL KILICOGLU*

*Associate Professor*

School of Information Sciences

501 E Daniel Street, Champaign, IL, 61820

halil at illinois.edu <rpgeraci at illinois.edu>

https://ischool.illinois.edu/people/halil-kilicoglu -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 13499 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20210909/d860b2c5/attachment.txt>