[Corpora-List] Call for attendance: ChEMU 2021 @ CLEF2021

Karin Verspoor karin.verspoor at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Sep 6 12:30:58 CEST 2021

Call for Attendance ChEMU 2021 Chemical Reaction Patent Information Extraction lab session @ CLEF 2021 http://chemu2021.eng.unimelb.edu.au/

Greetings,

Welcome to ChEMU 2021 @ CLEF!

We invite you to join the upcoming free & virtual lab session for the ChEMU 2021 shared task at CLEF 2021 on 23 September.

If you are interested in information extraction tasks over chemical reactions from patents or the challenges of reference resolution in the chemical domain, please come to our lab session! You will learn about the state-of-the-art techniques for structuring chemical information in the vast patent literature and how they can be applied to help drug discovery process.

Highlights: The lab session will be online, and will include

* An Invited Talk: Rosalind Sankey from Elsevier will speak about “Digitalization & curation of knowledge as the foundation for speeding up drug discovery”

* Shared Tasks: an overview of our ChEMU 2021 tasks, including reaction references and anaphora resolution, their results, and our plans for ChEMU 2022.

* Papers: 2 papers from participating teams describing their approaches to tackle the anaphora resolution task.

Time & Date of the ChEMU2021 session 23 September (online) 04:30 - 06:00 @ Boston (GMT -4) 11:30 - 13:00 @ Bucharest (GMT +3) 16:30 - 18:00 @ Beijing (GMT +8)

The full programme of the CLEF conference is available here: http://clef2021.clef-initiative.eu/index.php?page=Pages/programme.html

Registration (free) If you have not registered for CLEF2021 yet, please register at: https://forms.gle/bfcPqhaNDhnA1NiU8 Registration of CLEF 2021 is free of charge, but you still need to register to receive all needed information regarding the virtual conference.

More about Rosalind Sankey’s invited talk We are pleased to have Rosalind as our invited speaker.

* Title: Digitalization & curation of knowledge as the foundation for speeding up drug discovery

* Abstract: With the exponential growth of published and internally generated knowledge, it is getting harder and harder for researchers to stay up-to-date with the research landscape and to make fast and informed decisions. In the world of drug discovery and development, this information overload will only serve to slow down the already lengthy and costly drug discovery process at a time when the exact opposite is required – drug discovery needs to be faster and smarter to deliver better and fairer patient outcomes. With the aid of advanced technology we have a unique opportunity to help make critical information more discoverable and actionable and thus aid the speed of innovation during drug discovery. This talk will explore real examples of where advanced technology is being applied to help automate content and data curation from the published literature and how this is addressing critical researcher needs during the drug discovery process.

* About The Speaker: Rosalind is a Lead Product Manager for Reaxys based in Frankfurt, Germany.  In her current role, Rosalind is focused on understand the ongoing challenges of a modern researcher, with the overall aim of developing information solutions that help them effectively innovate, particularly in the field of drug discovery and development. Before joining Elsevier, Rosalind obtained a Ph.D. in Chemistry at the University of Bristol and has held Research Scientist positions at AstraZeneca, Pfizer and a leading UK Drug Discovery CRO

More about the shared task and participant papers

* Anaphora resolution: This task requires identification of references (coreference and bridging relations) between anaphoric expressions in chemical patents. For more information, please visit our ChEMU 2021 website: http://chemu2021.eng.unimelb.edu.au/

* Two teams from Carnegie Mellon University and Hokkaido University tackle the shared task using a pure transformer-based model and a combination of a rule-based system with a BERT model. Their papers have been published in the CLEF 2021 working notes: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2936/ (ChEMU section)

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We look forward to seeing you at our session!

The ChEMU Team Cheminformatics Elsevier Melbourne University chemu.lab at gmail.com<mailto:chemu.lab at gmail.com>

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 25171 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20210906/43f42940/attachment.txt>