[Corpora-List] 4 year PhD position VU Amsterdam Interpretability & NLP (InDeep project)

Antske Fokkens antske.fokkens at vu.nl
Tue Jun 1 11:17:42 CEST 2021

4 YEAR PHD POSITION: INTERPRETABILITY & NLP (INDEEP PROJECT) VU AMSTERDAM *Deadline: 30 June 2021 23:59 CET* Do you have a Masters degree in Computational Linguistics or a related area and are you interested in interpretability of deep neural networks in NLP? Do you want to be part of a large consortium including various leading experts on this topic? Do you want to work in a group that cares about core questions in NLP research and aims to provide a positive inspiring environment to young researchers?

Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam: https://workingat.vu.nl/ad/phd-position-indeep-project-interpretability-in-nlp/eht3mz

*Location: *AMSTERDAM *FTE: *0.8 - 1JOB DESCRIPTIONIn this project, you will work on interpretability of deep neural networks that are used to find evidence of fraud or misconduct in large amounts of text. In particular, we will investigate how language models can be used to identify anomalies. We focus on solid methodological approaches and pay specific attention to ethical questions related to this application. The research is embedded in the InDeep project that addresses interpretability in text and sound. You will be able to work with leading experts on this topic as well as industrial partners.

*Your duties*

- conduct research within the scope of the project leading to a

dissertation

- publish papers and present research results at conferences

- collaborate with junior and senior researchers on the team

- collaborate with (an) industrial partner(s) interested in using the

outcome of your work

REQUIREMENTS

- MA or MSc degree in computational linguistics or a related field (e.g.

AI, Computer Science with focus on NLP, Linguistics with focus on technical

skills)

- Solid programming skills (sufficient for carrying out your research)

- Good knowledge of machine learning

WHAT ARE WE OFFERING? A challenging position in an exciting project with leading experts in NLP. Researchers involved in InDeep include Afra Alishahi, Arianna Bisazza, Louis ten Bosch, John Ashley Burgoyne, Grzegorz Chrupala, Tom Lentz, Iris Hendricx and your direct supervisor Antske Fokkens. This subproject is carried out in collaboration with Deloitte. Deloitte is committed to using the outcome of this project, but the research is carried out completely independently and all resources you develop can be shared publicly.

The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,395 (PhD) per month during the first year and increases to €3,061 (PhD) per month during the fourth year, based on a full-time employment. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.8 - 1.0 FTE.

The appointment will initially be for 1 year. After a satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, the contract will be extended for a total duration of 4 years. Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:

- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment

- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus

- a wide range of sports facilities which staff may use at a modest

charge

ABOUT VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT AMSTERDAMThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.

Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.

*Diversity* We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.

*Faculty of Humanities* The Faculty of Humanities links a number of fields of study: Language, Literature and Communication, Art & Culture, History, Antiquities and Philosophy. Our teaching and research focus on current societal and scientific themes: from artificial intelligence to visual culture, from urbanization to the history of slavery, from ‘fake news’ in journalism to communication in organizations. We strive to ensure small group sizes. Innovative education and interdisciplinary research are our hallmarks.

Working at the Faculty of Humanities means making a real contribution to the quality of leading education and research in an inspiring and personal work and study climate. We employ more than 250 staff members, and we are home to around 1,300 students.

*Computational Linguistic Methods and CLTL* You will be part of the new University Research Chair *Computational Linguistic Methods *led by Antske Fokkens. This chair has as its aim to gain deeper understanding of NLP methods with particular focus on proper use in applications (such as interdisciplinary research). The chair is part of the Computational Linguistics and Text mining Lab (cltl.nl) directed by Piek Vossen. APPLICATIONAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until *30 June 2021*. The job interviews will take place online in July.

*Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.*

*Vacancy questions* If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact Antske Fokkens. Note that prof.dr. Fokkens is on maternity leave and may take several days to answer. Marking [InDeep position] in your subject line may speed up getting a response.

Name: Antske Fokkens Position: supervisor E-mail: antske.fokkens at vu.nl -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 9144 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20210601/c840e20f/attachment.txt>