[Corpora-List] BlackboxNLP 2021 (at EMNLP): final call for papers

Yuval Pinter yuvalpinter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:41:39 CEST 2021

BlackboxNLP 2021: Analyzing and interpreting neural networks for NLP -- EMNLP 2021

When: November 11, 2021

Where: Hybrid - Punta Cana & Online

Website: https://blackboxnlp.github.io *Submission deadline*: *August 5, 2021*

Workshop description

-----------------------------

Neural networks have rapidly become a central component in NLP systems in

the last few years. The improvement in accuracy and performance brought by

the introduction of neural networks has typically come at the cost of our

understanding of the system: How do we assess what the representations and

computations are that the network learns? The goal of this workshop is to

bring together people who are attempting to peek inside the neural network

black box, taking inspiration from machine learning, psychology,

linguistics, and neuroscience.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

* Applying analysis techniques from neuroscience to analyze

high-dimensional vector representations in artificial neural networks;

* Analyzing the network’s response to strategically chosen input in order

to infer the linguistic generalizations that the network has acquired;

* Examining network performance on simplified or formal languages;

* Proposing modifications to neural architectures that increase their

interpretability;

* Testing whether interpretable information can be decoded from

intermediate representations;

* Explaining specific model predictions made by neural networks;

* Generating and evaluating the quality of adversarial examples in NLP;

* Developing open-source tools for analyzing neural networks in NLP;

* Evaluating the analysis results: how do we know that the analysis is

valid?

BlackboxNLP 2021 is the fourth BlackboxNLP workshop. The programme and proceedings of the previous editions, which were held at EMNLP 2018, ACL 2019 and EMNLP 2020, can be found on the workshop website.

Submissions

-----------------

We call for two types of papers:

1) Archival papers. These are papers reporting on completed, original and

unpublished research, with a maximum length of 8 pages + references. Papers

shorter than this maximum are also welcome. Accepted papers are expected to

be presented at the workshop and will be published in the workshop

proceedings. They should report on obtained results rather than intended

work. These papers will undergo double-blind peer-review, and should thus

be anonymized.

2) Extended abstracts. These may report on work in progress or may be cross

submissions that have already appeared in a non-NLP venue. The extended

abstracts are of maximum 2 pages + references. These submissions are

non-archival in order to allow submission to another venue. The selection

will not be based on a double-blind review and thus submissions of this

type need not be anonymized.

Submissions should follow the official EMNLP 2021 style guidelines. We will

soon make the submission link available through the workshop website:

https://blackboxnlp.github.io

Our workshop also welcomes submissions through ACL

Rolling Review (https://aclrollingreview.org/). Authors of any papers

that are submitted to ARR before July 15, 2021 and have their reviews ready

may submit their papers and reviews for consideration for the workshop up to

one week before our notification date i.e. by August 27, 2021.

Contact

Please contact the organizers at blackboxnlp at googlegroups.com for any questions.

Important dates

*August 5, 2021 – Submission deadline*.

August 27, 2021 – Deadline for submitting ARR-reviewed papers

September 3, 2021 – Notification of acceptance.

September 15, 2021 – Camera-ready papers due.

November 11, 2021 – Workshop.

Note: All deadlines are 11:59PM UTC-12:00. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 22886 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20210727/f939ce8c/attachment.txt>