[Corpora-List] Postdoctoral position in morphology at Sheffield

Neil H Bermel n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 12:09:09 CEST 2021

The following announcement might be of interest to this list. The main focus of the post advertised below is not corpus linguistics; however, all strands of our project make extensive use of corpus tools and data, and this would be an opportunity for someone who also has an interest or background in empirical linguistics to explore those links.

RESEARCH ASSOCIATE

IN SLAVONIC, BALTIC OR FINNO-UGRIC LINGUISTICS

SCHOOL OF LANGUAGES AND CULTURES

THE UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD, U.K.

The School of Languages and Cultures is seeking to appoint a Research Associate to take part in our research project for a period of 24 months. The project is funded by the UK’s Arts and Humanities Research Council for the period 1 September 2020 – 31 December 2023.

The project, entitled *Feast and Famine: Confronting Overabundance and Defectivity in Language*, looks at non-canonical inflectional morphology in morphologically complex languages of central and eastern Europe. It includes eight institutions across four countries: the UK, the Czech Republic, Croatia and Estonia, and is led by Professor Neil Bermel (University of Sheffield) in collaboration with Professor Dunstan Brown (University of York).

It represents an excellent opportunity for a suitably trained linguist or psychologist to investigate a project of her/his own design, based on data from a language of this region, while also working as part of a collegial larger team seeking to shed light on these phenomena. We’re looking to appoint someone who has:

- A PhD in linguistics, psycholinguistics, psychology of language,

cognitive science or a related relevant field (or have equivalent

experience);

- A research interest in one or more languages from the central and east

European area (Slavonic, Baltic or Finno-Ugric);

- A proven track record in experimental research on languages.

You will have the opportunity to define and carry out your own investigation into one of the project’s experimental research questions. These concern how speakers produce material that falls into overabundant and defective paradigmatic slots and how they react to such material.

For more information about the project, please see the project website at www.sheffield.ac.uk/feastandfamine . Documentation for the post, including how to apply, can be found at www.sheffield.ac.uk/jobs (job reference no. UOS029021).

Informal enquiries about the post and the project can be made to the Principal Investigator, Neil Bermel, at n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk (for academic queries), or to the School’s Recruitment Manager, Ms Sandra Henry, at s.henry at sheffield.ac.uk (for queries regarding the appointments process).

-- Neil Bermel Professor of Russian & Slavonic Studies School Director of Research and Innovation School of Languages & Cultures University of Sheffield Jessop West, Sheffield S3 7RA U.K. tel. +44 (0)114 222 7405 Feast and Famine project <https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/feastandfamine>

Due to the pandemic, I am working for the most part remotely as per guidance. You can contact me by email or by phone on the number above, or invite me for a meeting on Google Meet, Zoom or Collaborate. Office hours for students <https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/selfsched?sstoken=UU1GcFE3X3kxZklqfGRlZmF1bHR8MDQ1M2IwMDYwNDBkY2JjMDdiNjUxYmQ1Mjc1N2FiZGQ>: Mon. and Thurs. 11.00 - 11.50 during teaching weeks; please sign up for a time to talk on Google Meet. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 8064 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20210701/0b4bbfc4/attachment.txt>