Apply before: 30 April 2021
Working hours: 36 hours per week
What you are going to do
We offer a tenure track for an associate professor who is interested in the development, evaluation and implementation of statistical and AI-based systems in Medicine, especially Natural Language Processing. Based on academic performance and merit, there is the possibility of full professorship in the future. The initial appointment is for three years (with an interim evaluation after one year), and it will be followed by a permanent appointment after a positive assessment.
You are expected to:
* help expand a team focused on methodology and AI/NLP within the context of real-world clinical applications. Because free text comprises much of clinical data, NLP forms a crucial part of the methodology, which could also be integrated with other modalities such as (time-series of) structured data and images;
* pursue a visible research agenda on real-world problems in collaboration with clinicians, researchers, and external groups. The research should be well integrated within the department’s themes organized around the Learning Health System concept;
* contribute to the education programs of Amsterdam UMC: the bachelor’s and masters’ programs in medical informatics, and the online master program Health Informatics for practitioners. Teaching amounts approximately to 40% of the position’s total time;
* acquire funding from sources such as The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMW), The Dutch Research Council (NWO), EU funding, health insurance companies, and industry.
What we expect from you
What do we require?
* a PhD degree in artificial intelligence, computer science, medical informatics, or closely related field;
* currently being an associate professor or a promising assistant professor/postdoc aspiring to become one;
* a passion for contributing to real world c
* linical applications;
* a proven capability to initiate (international) multidisciplinary collaborations;
* extensive experience in PhD supervision;
* a proven interest in machine learning and NLP, and knowledge or inherent interest to invest in learning biostatistical and epidemiological theory and principles;
* a strong publication record as demonstrated by international peer reviewed publications on AI and NLP;
* a track record in acquiring research funding;
* a clear vision on education and in the possession of a Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO) or willingness to obtain one;
* a good or excellent command of English and knowledge of, or the willingness to learn the Dutch language.
Where you are going to work
* working in a leading scientific department on current, socially relevant and challenging research projects at the interface between computer science, statistics, and healthcare;
* opportunity to build a team and interact with researchers and clinicians inside and outside Amsterdam UMC;
* ample opportunity for personal development, for example in the form of further and extended training in the dynamic environment of Amsterdam UMC and beyond.
Department: The Medical Informatics Department in Amsterdam UMC, location AMC, is committed to improve healthcare through research into the management, support, and evaluation of patient care using methods and techniques from medical informatics, computer science, epidemiology, statistics, human-factors and related disciplines. The department also plays an important role in the development and delivery of various courses at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Amsterdam: the 3-year bachelor’s degree in Medical Informatics, the 2-year master’s degree in Medical Informatics (in English), and the online master’s degree Health Informatics for (healthcare) professionals.
The department’s research is carried out by 4 professors whose collective lines of research focus on the following topics: Health Data Science; predictive and causal models; natural language processing; semantic interoperability; decision support and feedback to healthcare professionals and patients; epidemiology of kidney diseases, evaluation of information systems; evaluation of care; and user-centered design. For example, we develop NLP-based prediction models for early detection of cancer in primary care and ML-based systems to detect adverse events in the vulnerable elderly population in the hospital, and integrate these systems in the Electronic Health Record. Together, the research topics form links to the learning health system, which essentially boils down to improving care by making use of knowledge and (routinely collected) data. The department also houses four (inter)national quality of care registries that form a vehicle for research.
The researchers of the department participate in various research institutes and programs of the Amsterdam UMC, most notably the Methodology program of the Amsterdam Public Health institute (APH). They also participate in the Amsterdam Medical Data Science platform and teach in the newly formed joint AI for Health master track between Amsterdam UMC and the AI programs of the Free University and the University of Amsterdam.
What we offer you
We offer you ample opportunity for development, deepening and broadening, additional training and a place to grow! Working at Amsterdam UMC means working in an inspiring and professional environment where development is encouraged in every respect.
* The maximum gross monthly salary based on a 36-hour work week is between € 5,725 and € 7,298 (scale 14 CAO UMC).
* The base salary does not include allowances for irregular shifts, holiday pay (8%) and a year-end bonus (8.3%).
* We initially offer position for 3 years (with an interim evaluation after one year).
* In addition to excellent accessibility by public transport, AMC location also has a sufficient number of parking spaces for employees.
* Pension is accrued at the ABP. Amsterdam UMC contributes a large part of the premium (70%).
* We have a very active staff association and organise various (sports) activities and events throughout the year.
For an overview of all our other terms of employment, see https://werkenbijamc.nl/arbeidsvoorwaarden/.
Amsterdam UMC has an open culture. Together we continuously build an environment where everyone feels welcome. To achieve that, we strive to provide equal opportunities for everyone. We therefore cordially invite all interested parties to respond to this vacancy.
If you would like to apply directly, please use the ‘apply’ button on https://werkenbijamc.nl/vacatures/associate-professor-in-ai-nlp-in-medicine-at-the-medical-informatics-department/<https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwerkenbijamc.nl%2Fvacatures%2Fassociate-professor-in-ai-nlp-in-medicine-at-the-medical-informatics-department%2F&data=04%7C01%7Ca.abu-hanna%40amsterdamumc.nl%7Cf23f6e58f38648c069b908d909aa9696%7C68dfab1a11bb4cc6beb528d756984fb6%7C0%7C0%7C637551450545608782%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=LC6CRxxx5RuaeZKGEEnOQTyZPCdCItsQZbgw%2FvBwzak%3D&reserved=0>
If you would like more information, please feel free to contact Prof. Dr. A. Abu-Hanna, via a.abu-hanna at amsterdamumc.nl.
We look forward to meeting you!
________________________________ Prof. dr. Ameen Abu-Hanna | Professor of Medical Informatics and PI | Founding Fellow International Academy of Health Sciences Informatics Amsterdam UMC - Universitair Medische Centra | Location AMC Department of Medical Informatics | Room J1B-114-2 | Meibergdreef 15, 1105AZ Amsterdam T: +31-20-566 5959 | E: a.abu-hanna at amsterdamumc.nl | GoogleScholar profile<https://eur04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fscholar.google.nl%2Fcitations%3Fuser%3DlymnZacAAAAJ%26hl%3Den&data=04%7C01%7Ca.abu-hanna%40amsterdamumc.nl%7Cf23f6e58f38648c069b908d909aa9696%7C68dfab1a11bb4cc6beb528d756984fb6%7C0%7C0%7C637551450545618739%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=0Aqr96jfRbdy84x5SVnP4aZFcw9OVo8MtH%2Fv5auU34A%3D&reserved=0> www.amsterdamumc.nl<http://www.amsterdamumc.nl/> |www.amc.nl<http://www.amc.nl/>
______________________________________________________ VUmc disclaimer : www.vumc.nl/disclaimer AMC disclaimer : www.amc.nl/disclaimer -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 26800 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20210427/23a50434/attachment.txt>