[Corpora-List] Second call for papers: Fourth workshop on Universal Dependencies

Sebastian Schuster sebschu at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 24 21:33:26 CET 2020

[Apologies for cross-posting]

Fourth workshop on Universal Dependencies, September 14 (Barcelona, Spain)

Website: https://www.universaldependencies.org/udw20

Submission deadline: May 15, 2020

Universal Dependencies (UD; https://www.universaldependencies.org) is a framework for cross-linguistically consistent treebank annotation that has so far been applied to 90 languages.

The framework is aiming to capture similarities as well as idiosyncracies among typologically different languages (e.g., morphologically rich languages, pro-drop languages, and languages featuring clitic doubling). The goal in developing UD was not only to support comparative evaluation and cross-lingual learning but also to facilitate multilingual natural language processing and enable comparative linguistic studies.

Since the release of the first guidelines in October 2014, and the subsequent release of the first 10 treebanks, we have seen rapid growth towards a collection of over 150 treebanks.

The Universal Dependencies workshop series was started to create a forum for discussion of the theory and practice of UD, its use in research and development, and its future goals and challenges. The three workshops so far were held at NoDaLiDa in Gothenburg (2017), at EMNLP in Brussels (2018) and at SyntaxFest in Paris (2019).

Note regarding the COVID-19 pandemic: Like the COLING 2020 organizers, we remain optimistic that the workshop can take place in Barcelona in September. We will closely monitor the developments  and will inform you as early as possible in case we have to make alternative arrangements. We will also provide opportunities for remote presentations to presenters who cannot attend in person due to potentially remaining travel bans.

The fourth workshop on Universal Dependencies invites papers on all topics relevant to UD, including but not limited to:

*    theoretical foundations and universal guidelines *    linguistic analysis of specific languages and/or constructions *    language typology and linguistic universals *    treebank annotation, conversion and validation *    word segmentation, morphological tagging and syntactic parsing *    downstream applications in natural language processing *    linguistic studies based on the UD data

Priority will be given to papers that adopt a cross-lingual perspective.

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

We solicit two types of papers: regular workshop papers and cross-submissions. Papers will be presented as oral presentations or posters, but only regular workshop papers will be included in the proceedings, where no distinction will be made on the basis of mode of presentation.

The regular workshop papers can be long papers (maximum length of eight (8) pages of content) as well as short papers (maximum length of four (4) pages of content), and should report substantially original research. Reviews will be double-blind.

In addition to unpublished work, in the spirit of promoting discussion in the UD community, we also solicit papers on related topics that have already appeared elsewhere. The selection of these papers will solely be determined by the organizing committee.

IMPORTANT: Submission Guidelines

Please note that UDW-20 adopts ACL's policies for submission, review, and citation:

https://www.aclweb.org/adminwiki/index.php?title=ACL_Policies_for_Submission,_Review_and_Citation

Submissions that violate any of these policies will be rejected without review. Most importantly, the policies define an anonymity period, which starts on April 15, 2020 for UDW-20.

TRAVEL AND REGISTRATION GRANTS

We secured funds from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and Google to offer grants to some participants to partially cover travel and/or registration fees. If you are interested in receiving such a grant, please indicate this at the time of submission. The funds from the NSF are restricted to students currently enrolled at a US university; for the remaining funds, we will prioritize students, participants with accepted papers, and participants from universities outside of the US.

INVITED SPEAKER

* Martha Palmer, University of Colorado Boulder, USA

IMPORTANT DATES

* Start of anonymity period: Wednesday, April 15 * Submission deadline: Friday, May 15 * Notification of acceptance: Wednesday, June 24 * Camera-ready papers due: Friday, July 10 * Workshop: Monday, September 14

All deadlines are 11:59pm PDT (UTC-7).

WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS

Workshop chairs & organizing committee:

* Miryam de Lhoneux, Uppsala University, Sweden * Marie-Catherine de Marneffe, The Ohio State University, USA * Joakim Nivre, Uppsala University, Sweden * Sebastian Schuster, Stanford University, USA

CONTACT

E-Mail: udw-organisers at googlegroups.com Twitter: https://twitter.com/ud_workshop