[Corpora-List] LxMLS 2020: Final Call for Participation (deadline extended)

Fernando Batista Fernando.Batista at inesc-id.pt
Mon Mar 16 12:25:27 CET 2020

============================================================== Call for Participation LxMLS 2020 - 10th Lisbon Machine Learning School ==============================================================

We invite everyone interested in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing to attend the 10th Lisbon Machine Learning School - LxMLS 2020.

COVID-19 Information --------------- Please take into account that the act of applying signifies no compromise on your side to attend. Only after the acceptance emails are issued (decision on April 22) you will know if you have been accepted. Even if you are accepted, you will still have to confirm that you wish to attend, register and pay. If the situation is still uncertain by the end of the early registration period, we will consider additional measures to deal with the situation. Please keep informed of the latest events on the LxMLS Webpage. We will continue to monitor the situation very closely and will communicate any further changes as soon as possible. Our goal is to ensure a safe and rich summer school experience. We look forward to welcoming you in Lisbon with the safety of our participants at the forefront.

Important Dates --------------- * Application Deadline: March 22, 2020 * Decision: April 22, 2020 * Early Registration: April 27 - June 30, 2020 * Summer School: July 21 - 29, 2020

Topics and Intended Audience --------------- The school will cover a range of Machine Learning (ML) topics, from theory to practice, that are important in solving Natural Language Processing (NLP) problems that arise in the analysis and use of Web data.

Our target audience is: * Researchers and graduate students in the fields of NLP and Computational Linguistics; * Computer scientists who have interests in statistics and machine learning; * Industry practitioners who desire a more in depth understanding of these subjects.

Features of LxMLS: * No deep previous knowledge of ML or NLP is required, but the attendants are assumed to have some basic background on mathematics and programming; * Days are divided into morning lectures and afternoon lab sessions and practical talks (see schedule); * The Labs guide will be provided one month in advance. Last year's guide is available on the website. * A day zero is scheduled to review basic concepts and introduce the necessary tools for implementation exercises * Both basic (e.g linear classifiers) and advanced topics (e.g. deep learning, reinforcement learning) will be covered * Students will be able to (optionally) show their current work in poster sessions during coffee breaks * In the demo day students will be able to interact with technical companies and research institutions working in machine learning * Welcome reception, Gala dinner, daily lunch as well as morning and afternoon coffee breaks are included in the application fee * Lecturers are leading researchers in machine learning and natural language processing

List of Confirmed Speakers --------------- LUIS PEDRO COELHO Fudan University | China MÁRIO FIGUEIREDO Instituto de Telecomunicações & Instituto Superior Técnico | Portugal ANDRE MARTINS Instituto de Telecomunicações & Unbabel | Portugal KRISTINA TOUTANOVA Google Inc. | USA NOAH SMITH University of Washington & Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence | USA SLAV PETROV Google Inc. | USA XAVIER CARRERAS dMetrics | USA ISABELLE AUGENSTEIN Copenhagen NLU group | Denmark BHIKSHA RAJ Carnegie Mellon University | USA CHRIS DYER Google Deep Mind | UK NANDO DE FREITAS Google Deep Mind | UK STEFAN RIEZLER Institut für Computerlinguistik, Universität Heidelberg | Germany MARI OSTENDORF University of Washington | USA STEPHAN GOUWS Deep Mind | UK

Please visit our webpage for up to date information: http://lxmls.it.pt/2020.

To apply, please fill the form in https://lisbonmls.wufoo.com/forms/application-form-lxmls-2020/. Any questions should be directed to: lxmls-2020 at lx.it.pt.

We are looking forward to your participation!

-- The organizers of LxMLS'2020.