[Corpora-List] New ACL Special Interest Group on Linguistic Typology (SIGTYP)

Ekaterina Vylomova evylomova at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 01:56:54 CET 2020

Dear colleagues,

We are delighted to announce a new ACL Special Interest Group on Linguistic Typology (SIGTYP) that was recently approved by the Executive of the Association for Computational Linguistics. Our website is available here: https://sigtyp.github.io/

I. PURPOSE The purpose of SIGTYP is to promote the study of linguistic typology in the ACL community and to provide members of the ACL with a means of exchanging news of recent research developments in linguistic typology and multilingual NLP. SIGTYP also organizes an annual workshop collocated with an *ACL conference.

II. HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER

OR

Subscribe here: sigtyp+subscribe at googlegroups.com

We are happy to see many researchers from ACL, ALT, CoEDL as our current members: https://sigtyp.github.io/members.html

III. ACTIVITIES

[SIGTYP 2020 WORKSHOP] // NOV 11/12, 2020, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

The topics of the workshop will include, but are not limited to:

- Language-independence in training, architecture design, and hyperparameter tuning

- Integration of typological features in language transfer and joint multilingual learning

- New applications

- Automatic inference of typological features

- Typology and interpretability

- Improvement and completion of typological databases

See more details: https://sigtyp.github.io/ws2020.html

First Call for Papers: https://sigtyp.github.io/sigtyp-cfp2020.html

[SIGTYP 2020 SHARED TASK: PREDICTION OF TYPOLOGICAL FEATURES]

In 2020, SIGTYP is offering a shared task on the prediction of typological features. The shared task features nearly 2,000 languages, with typological features taken from the World Atlas of Language Structures (WALS).

To participate in the shared task, you will build a system that can predict typological properties of languages, given a handful of observed features. Training examples and development examples will be provided. All submitted systems will be compared on a held-out test set.

Read more: https://sigtyp.github.io/st2020.html

IV. MONTHLY DIGEST SIGTYP issues newsletters on recent developments in computational typology and multilingual natural language processing. Each month, various members of SIGTYP will endeavour to summarize recent papers that focus on these topics. The papers or scholarly works that we review are selected to reflect a diverse set of research directions. They represent works that the editors found to be interesting and wanted to share. Given the fast-paced nature of research in our field, we find that brief summaries of interesting papers are a useful way to cut the wheat from the chaff.

We expressly encourage people working in computational typology or multilingual NLP to submit summaries of their own research, which we will collate, edit and announce on SIGTYP’s website. Want to contribute? Join sigtyp-newsletter at googlegroups.com or email to sigtyp at gmail.com

Our February newsletter is available here: https://sigtyp.github.io/sigtyp-newsletter-Feb-2020.html

V. CURRENT EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

President: Ekaterina Vylomova

Secretary: Ryan Cotterell

SIGTYP's representative to ALT: Eitan Grossman

At Large: Edoardo M. Ponti and Alexis Palmer

Sincerely, Ekaterina Vylomova Ryan Cotterell (on behalf of SIG Execs) -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 4127 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20200310/efc19f07/attachment.txt>