[Corpora-List] PhD or PostDoc in Natural Language Processing for the Social Good, TU Darmstadt, Germany

Elisabeth Niemann niemann at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Mon Jan 27 10:20:07 CET 2020

The Department of Computer Science, Technische Universitšt (TU) Darmstadt, Germany has an opening for an

Associate Research Scientist "NLP for the Social Good" (PhD- or PostDoc-level; for an initial term until the end of 2022)

We are building a research profile in "Content Analytics for the Social Good" in close collaboration with multiple Machine Learning and Data Science labs as well as Social Science labs at the universities of Frankfurt and Mainz. To stregthen this profile, we are looking to hire a PhD student or a PostDoc with both a strong background in Natural Language Processing and a genuine interest to contribute to the Social Good, i.e. conduct research with decidedly positive impact on our society. Examples include privacy-aware NLP and large-scale text analysis to promote and enhance corporate social responsibility, public-policy making, or user empowerment under uncertainty. We specifically envisage cooperations with law and economics researchers and cutting-edge NLP research in low-resource scenarios.

The position is situated in a larger research environment of the UKP Lab as a high-profile research group comprising over thirty team members who work on various aspects of data-driven NLP and machine learning. Their novel applications in various domains extend to mining scientific literature or social media, and AI for Social Good in general. We have recently hired several postdocs to build a focus on NLP for the Social Good. The immediate supervision for the advertised position will be provided by Dr. Ivan Habernal. The strategic long-term advice will be given by Prof. Iryna Gurevych.

We ask for applications from candidates in Computer Science with a specialization in Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing or Text Mining and strong interdisciplinary interest in Computational Social Science. Prior experience with neural network architectures, corpus development and other relevant areas of NLP and Machine Learning is a plus. Demonstrable engagement in open source projects, strong programming skills and communication skills in English are highly appreciated.

UKP Lab (cf. https://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de) provides a highly agile, diverse and supportive research environment. The lab has a wide cooperation network with both leading academic and industrial professionals in NLP and Machine Learning. The Department of Computer Science of the TU Darmstadt is regularly ranked among the top ones in respective rankings of the German universities. Its unique profile around AI (cf. https://www.ai-da.tu-darmstadt.de) and information processing (cf. https://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/aiphes) emphasizes NLP, machine learning, and and their great potential for the industry and society at large. UKP Lab is committed to cutting-edge research, publishing in top-tier venues, cooperative work style and close interaction of all team members. The selected candidates enjoy numerous opportunities for professional growth, leading to successful faculty careers or exciting industrial employments.

To apply, please provide a detailed CV, a motivation letter and an outline of previous work or research experience along with the names of up to three referees (if available). Applications from women are particularly encouraged. All other things being equal, candidates with disabilities will be given preference. Please submit your application via the following form by February 10th, 2020: https://public.ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/ukprecruitment. Applications arriving after the deadline will still be considered until the position is filled. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 6478 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20200127/6a47a2eb/attachment.txt>