[Corpora-List] Call For Participation: Shared Task On Metaphor Detection -- Jan 12 through March 22, 2020

Beigman Klebanov, Beata bbeigmanklebanov at ets.org
Sun Jan 12 10:05:12 CET 2020

Call For Participation: Shared Task On Metaphor Detection

We are happy to announce the start of the second shared task on metaphor detection.

Following a successful shared task on metaphor detection in news, editorial, conversations, and academic writing sampled from the BNC during the Workshop on Figurative Language Processing @NAACL 2018 , we are expanding to a new domain

and conducting a shared task on detection of metaphors in persuasive essays written by non-native speakers of English.

Beigman Klebanov, Leong, and Flor (NAACL 2018) showed that usage of metaphorical language that is related to the writer’s

arguments is correlated with the human holistic scores of essay quality. We use the annotated dataset from the Beigman Klebanov et al (2018) study to conduct the shared task, and use their results as a baseline. We also publish the features to help participants directly build on the prior work. In addition, we run a second round of competition on the BNC data, to help track improvements on this benchmark since the last shared task.

For more information about the shared task and to participate visit https://competitions.codalab.org/competitions/22188

Important Dates

* January 12, 2020: 1st CFP for the shared task; CodaLab competition is open; training data and auxiliary scripts can be downloaded

* February 12, 2020: 2nd CFP for the shared task; test data can be downloaded and results submitted; performance will be tracked on CodaLab dashboard

* March 22, 2020: Last day for submitting predictions on test data

* April 18, 2020: Papers describing the systems are due for paper submission information

* May 8, 2020: Notifications for papers are sent

* May 18, 2020: Camera Ready version of papers

* July 9/10, 2020: Workshop on Figurative Language Processing @ ACL 2020 in Seattle, WA (https://sites.google.com/view/figlang2020/)

Task organizers

* Ben Leong<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=T4HyHQIAAAAJ&hl=en>, Educational Testing Service; cleong [AT] ets [DOT] org

* Beata Beigman Klebanov<https://sites.google.com/site/beatabeigmanklebanov/>, Educational Testing Service, bbeigmanklebanov [AT] ets [DOT] org

* Rutuja Ubale<https://rutujaubale.github.io/>, Educational Testing Service, rubale [AT] ets [DOT] org

* Chris Hamill, Educational Testing Service, chamill [AT] ets [DOT] org

Thank you for your compliance.

________________________________ -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 8487 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20200112/d2e72100/attachment.txt>