[Corpora-List] Understanding English dictionaries MOOC

Hilary Nesi aa3861 at coventry.ac.uk
Sun Jan 5 18:30:08 CET 2020

Dear Colleagues

The massive open online course (MOOC) “Understanding English Dictionaries” begins its second run on 20th January 2020. You can join the course at any point during its six-week run, and participation is free.

To sign up for the course, go to: https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/understanding-dictionaries

Understanding English Dictionaries” was developed by Hilary Nesi and Sharon Creese (Coventry University), Barbara McGillivray (Turing Institute), Katalin Süle (Macmillan Dictionary), and Michael Rundell (Macmillan Dictionary and Lexical Computing). The first iteration ran between September and November 2019, and attracted almost 2500 students.

MOOC covers topics such as the scope and content of dictionaries, the use of corpora, word sense disambiguation, the automation of lexicographic tasks, and the future of reference publishing. It also features interviews with well-known figures from the dictionary community, including Patrick Hanks, Ramesh Krishnamurthy, and Jane Solomon.

The following comments (reprinted with permission) are typical of participant responses:

The mentor and instructor participation on the course forums was outstanding, as was the content. Really fascinating course and I'll be sure to recommend it widely. A HUGE thanks!”

“I have never imagined there was so much work behind dictionaries! I have learned about different dictionaries, different uses, the parts of a dictionary, the latest technology, their future... Now I see things more clearly and I appreciate dictionaries much more. It has been a fantastic trip.”

Top 15 UK University – five years running Guardian University Guide 2016-2020

1st for Overseas Student Experiences based on student trips abroad from HESA 2017/18 UK data

2nd for Teaching Excellence Times Higher Education UK metrics ranking 2017

University of the Year for Student Experience 2019 The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019

NOTICE

This message and any files transmitted with it is intended for the addressee only and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. Unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you should not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message, except for the purpose of delivery to the addressee.

Any views or opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Coventry University. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 17567 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20200105/35cec085/attachment.txt>