[Corpora-List] Peer review

Khurshid Ahmad kahmad at scss.tcd.ie
Tue Dec 29 03:36:52 CET 2020

Dear Hugh The 'peer review' is very important: one measure of the impact of your scholarship in this digital era is the number of downloads your corpus/corpora has/have. As Mark has rightly suggested, computer science folks are more receptive to this idea. You might enter the downloads as a measure of esteem your colleagues have. The number of hits is a key measure of ranking employed by search engine, and in Google ranking the 'fancy hits'- the number of people looking upto your website is critical for higher ranking. In another domain, mass communications, the downloads may indicate your reputation.

I am not much in favour of the so-called are journal publications, in some branches of engineering and physics, the publication of your research in a 'letter' or rapid communications journals is regarded more highly, and in yet other disciplines a monograph is essential.

Whatever happens please keep up the good work and promote data driven research.

--- Best wishes

Khurshid Ahmad. PhD, FBCS, FTCD, CITP Professor of Computer Science School of Computer Science and Statistics Trinity College Dublin 2 IRELAND

Phone: 00353 1 896 8429 (Labs: 00 353 1 8968435) Fax 353 1 677 2204 Webpage: www.cs.tcd.ie/khurshid.ahmad