[Corpora-List] Peer review

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Mon Dec 28 19:59:19 CET 2020

>> Are their alternative models (and or vocabulary) being used for discussing how the compilation of a corpus is part of one's scientific output?

I've created a number of corpora<https://www.english-corpora.org/> that have been widely used by researchers. But I've worked in a College of Humanities where rank and status committees are typically dominated by people in literary and cultural studies, where the only thing they really understand is the all-important journal article. (Even peer-reviewed conference papers are usually suspect in their eyes.) And they would never understand, for example, data from something like Google Analytics, which provides concrete data on the number of people actually using the corpora<https://www.english-corpora.org/users.asp>, or the number of citations in Google Scholar<https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=8-LRgUIAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao>.

So for each of the corpora that I've created, I've tried to make sure that I do have journal articles<https://www.mark-davies.info/vita.pdf> that explain the creation and use of the corpora. Of course if you're in a college that includes computer science, for example, they will probably be more open-minded to the intrinsic value of creating corpora / large datasets that are widely used by other researchers.

Mark Davies

============================================ Mark Davies Professor Emeritus of Linguistics https://www.mark-davies.info

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases ** ** Historical linguistics // Language variation ** ** English, Spanish, and Portuguese ** ============================================

________________________________________ From: corpora-bounces at uib.no <corpora-bounces at uib.no> on behalf of Hugh Paterson III <sil.linguist at gmail.com> Sent: Friday, December 25, 2020 5:52 PM To: corpora at uib.no Subject: [Corpora-List] Peer review

Greetings,

Peer-reviewed publication is an important part of academic advancement in many job situations. I am not seeing any discussion in the literature on how corpora are being "peer-reviewed" (I'm using google scholar). Are their alternative models (and or vocabulary) being used for discussing how the compilation of a corpus is part of one's scientific output? any recent papers on this issue? I see some recent literature discussion on data citation, and software citation, but these don't address the peer-review aspect, and don't specifically address corpora.

all the best, - hugh paterson III

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 3708 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20201228/b21e678d/attachment.txt>