[Corpora-List] First CFP : 5th Workshop on Teaching NLP (at NAACL 2021)

Ted Pedersen tpederse at d.umn.edu
Sat Dec 19 14:19:14 CET 2020

************************************************************** Fifth Workshop on Teaching NLP: First Call for Papers

Submission Deadline : March 15, 2021 Workshop Dates : June 10 and 11, 2021 (at NAACL)

https://sites.google.com/view/teaching-nlp-workshop/call-for-papers **************************************************************

The Fifth Workshop on Teaching NLP will be co-located with the 2021 Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (NAACL-HLT 2021), which is currently scheduled to be held in Mexico City, Mexico, from June 6 - 11, 2021. The Teaching NLP workshop will take place on June 10th and June 11th. The first day will focus on working groups where we will share experiences and develop recommendations for best practices, while the second day will include talks and/or posters, keynotes, and panel discussions.

We are planning this workshop as a hybrid event, where full participation will be possible virtually or in-person. This will allow us to more easily pivot to a fully virtual workshop should this be the overall modality of the NAACL conference. We also want to encourage broad participation in our workshop, and do not want to exclude those who are unable or prefer not to travel should NAACL be in-person. Finally, should NAACL become a fully virtual event then this workshop would do the same.

** Workshop description **

The field of Natural Language Processing (NLP) is growing rapidly, with new state-of-the-art methods emerging every year, if not sooner. As educators in NLP, we struggle to keep up. We need to make decisions about what to teach and how to teach it with every offering of a course, sometimes even as a course is being offered. The fast-paced nature of NLP brings unique challenges for curriculum design, and the immense growth of the field has lead to not just core NLP courses, but also to more specialized classes and seminars in subareas such as Natural Language Understanding, Computational Social Science, Machine Translation, and many more. We also have an increasing number of students interested in NLP, bringing with them a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.

This workshop seeks to address questions such as, but not limited to:

* Topic selection

** What are fundamental concepts that NLP practitioners and researchers should learn?

** What is the appropriate balance between the use of tools versus understanding of more fundamental concepts?

** What is the appropriate balance between Linguistics versus Machine Learning?

** What is the appropriate balance between more traditional NLP versus NLP with deep learning?

** How has the rapid development of NLP techniques impacted the evolution of courses?

* Adapting curricula for different audiences

** How should we prepare students for different career trajectories, and for both their short-term prospects and long-term development?

** How should we tailor our classes for a broad mix of students of different backgrounds (e.g. social sciences, medicine, humanities)?

** How do we teach NLP to students who have limited programming experience?

** How do we scale our teaching for larger class sizes while preserving the accessibility of complex material?

* Course and academic program design

** How do we adapt curriculum to alternative teaching styles, e.g. remote courses, flipped classroom, lectures vs. small seminars?

** What kinds of course paths and options should we provide for students traversing an NLP-related degree?

** How do we create curriculum and materials for a new NLP course?

** What kinds of homework, programming assignments, and projects are particularly effective in teaching NLP concepts?

** What kinds of materials are most effective in reaching students, e.g., textbooks, videos, interactive exercises, blog posts, academic papers?

* Responsible and ethical NLP

** How can we encourage practices that lead to reproducible results in NLP?

** What kinds of activities, questions, and exercises are helpful for teaching ethical NLP?

This long-overdue fifth edition of the Teaching NLP Workshop builds on prior successful offerings to tackle the most pressing issues in how to design NLP courses and bring together instructors from many backgrounds to discuss, create, and refine instructional design and material.

** Submission information **

We invite two kinds of submissions. All submissions should follow NAACL 2021 style guidelines and formatting and should be submitted via softconf (link to be added soon).

Type 1 submissions: Teaching materials

We invite submissions of short papers of 1-2 pages that describe teaching materials such as curricula, course GitHub repositories, Jupyter notebooks, slides, homework and programming assignments, or projects. The associated teaching materials should be submitted in addition to the short paper. These papers will be peer-reviewed and published as a part of the workshop proceedings, however the teaching materials themselves will not be published. Instead, we will create a Teaching NLP repository where authors may opt-in to make their materials available for re-use after the workshop. These submissions do not need to be anonymized.

Type 2 submissions: Papers

We invite papers of any length (4-10 pages preferred) discussing pedagogical aspects of NLP focusing on, but not limited to, any of the following general topics:

* Tools and methodologies (e.g., teaching with code, active learning, flipped classroom)

* Scaling curricula to fit large class sizes

* Adapting existing curriculum to incorporate new NLP advancements

* Teaching online NLP courses, or adjusting courses to become remote due to Covid-19

* Teaching underrepresented students

* Challenges of designing the first NLP course or related degree program at a college, university, or on a MOOC platform

* Teaching students who have no or little computer science backgrounds and/or programming experience

* Bridging the gap between academic training and industry needs

* Incorporating ethics, reproducibility, and responsible practices in NLP courses

* Teaching multilingual NLP

These papers may take the form of a reflection or summary of previous experiences, a formal evaluation or assessment of particular pedagogical techniques, a case study, or an opinion piece.

While there are no page limits to submissions, longer papers will be expected to offer a greater contribution. Authors may choose a non-archival submission, recognizing that some disciplines do not accept journal articles published in workshop proceedings.

** Important dates **

Workshop submissions due: March 15, 2021 Notification of acceptance: April 15, 2021 Camera-ready papers due: April 26, 2021 Teaching NLP workshop: June 10-11, 2021 Note: All deadlines are 11:59 pm UTC -12h (anywhere on earth).

Questions? : teaching-nlp-organizers at googlegroups.com

--- Ted Pedersen http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse