[Corpora-List] 2nd CFP: 16th Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications (BEA2021)

Ildiko Pilan ildiko.pilan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 15:19:27 CET 2020

(apologies for cross-posting)

Second Call for Papers

*The* *16th* *Workshop* *on* *Innovative* *Use* *of NLP* *for* *Building* *Educational* *Applications* *(BEA2021) *

Online event

Monday, April 19, 2021 or Tuesday, April 20, 2021 (TBD)

(co-located with EACL 2021)

https://sig-edu.org/bea/current

*Submission Deadline: Monday, January 18, 2021, 11:59pm UTC-12*

*WORKSHOP* *DESCRIPTION *

In its 16th year, the BEA Workshop continues to be a leading venue for NLP innovation for educational applications, and one of the largest one-day workshops in the ACL community. The workshop’s continuous growth illustrates an alignment between societal need and technological advances. The COVID-19 pandemic brings a necessary expansion for remote learning across the educational space from early primary education through secondary, adult education, and for workforce learning. BEA2021 will have a sub-theme and will welcome research that can support remote and hybrid learning contexts.

The 16th BEA workshop will have oral presentation sessions and a large poster session to maximize the amount of original work presented. The workshop will continue to expose the NLP community to technologies that identify novel opportunities for the use of NLP in education in English, and languages other than English. The workshop will solicit both full and short papers for either oral or poster presentation. We will solicit papers that incorporate NLP methods, including, but not limited to: automated scoring of open-ended textual and spoken responses; game-based instruction and assessment; educational data mining; intelligent tutoring; peer review, grammatical error detection; learner cognition; spoken dialog; multimodal applications; tools for teachers & test developers; and use of corpora. Research that incorporates NLP methods for use with mobile and game-based platforms will be of special interest. We also plan to hold an expert panel to address how NLP technology can support urgent issues in education brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.

*PANEL *

In 2021, we will be hosting a virtual 1-hour panel on “New Challenges for Educational Technology in the Time of the Pandemic” that will cover such questions as (1) *What areas / subjects / aspects of education will be most affected by the pandemic? *(2) *How can AI / educational technology help tackle these issues?* (3) *What long-term consequences will the current situation have on education?* We have 2 confirmed panelists so far: Prof. Dr GaŽlle Molinari <https://distanceuniversity.ch/gaelle-molinari/>(Faculty of Psychology, Swiss Distance University Institute) and Prof Carolyn Rosť <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cprose/> (Language Technologies Institute and HCI Institute, Carnegie Mellon University).

*IMPORTANT DATES *

*Note*: these dates are still preliminary and may change. All deadlines are 11.59 pm UTC-12.

● Paper Submission Deadline: Monday, January 18, 2021

● Notification of Acceptance: Thursday, February 18, 2021

● Camera-ready Papers Due: Monday, March 1, 2021

● Workshop: Monday, April 19, 2021 or Tuesday, April 20, 2021 (TBD)

*SUBMISSION INFORMATION*

We will be using the EACL Submission Guidelines for the BEA Workshop this year. Authors are invited to submit a full paper of up to eight (8) pages of content, plus unlimited references; final versions of long papers will be given one additional page of content (up to 9 pages) so that reviewers’ comments can be taken into account. We also invite short papers of up to four (4) pages of content, plus unlimited references. Upon acceptance, short papers will be given five (5) content pages in the proceedings to address reviewers’ comments.

Papers which describe systems are also invited to give a demo of their system. If you would like to present a demo in addition to presenting the paper, please make sure to select either “full paper + demo” or “short paper + demo” under “Submission Category” in the START submission page.

Previously published papers cannot be accepted. The submissions will be reviewed by the program committee. As reviewing will be blind, please ensure that papers are anonymous.

We have also included conflict of interest in the submission form. You should mark all potential reviewers who have been authors on the paper, are from the same research group or institution, or who have seen versions of this paper or discussed it with you.

We will be using the START conference system to manage submissions: https://www.softconf.com/eacl2021/bea2021/

*DOUBLE SUBMISSION POLICY*

We will follow the official ACL double-submission policy <https://www.aclweb.org/archive/policies/current/double-submission-policy.html> .

*ORGANIZING COMMITTEE *

● *Jill Burstein* <https://sites.google.com/site/jbursteinets/>, Educational Testing Service

● *Andrea Horbach* <https://www.ltl.uni-due.de/team/andrea-horbach/>, University of Duisburg-Essen

● *Ekaterina Kochmar* <https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~ek358/>, University of Cambridge

● *Ronja Laarmann-Quante* <https://www.ltl.uni-due.de/team/ronja-laarmann-quante>*, *University of Duisburg-Essen

● *Claudia Leacock* <https://www.linkedin.com/in/claudialeacockphd/>, Grammarly

● *Nitin Madnani* <https://desilinguist.org/>*, *Educational Testing Service

● *Ildikó Pilán* <https://www.linkedin.com/in/ildiko-pilan/?locale=en_US>*, *Norwegian Computing Center

● *Helen Yannakoudakis* <https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~hy260/>, King’s College London, University of Cambridge

● *Torsten Zesch* <https://www.ltl.uni-due.de/team/torsten-zesch/>, University of Duisburg-Essen

*Workshop contact email address: **bea.nlp.workshop at gmail.com* <bea.nlp.workshop at gmail.com>

For further information, please visit: https://sig-edu.org/bea/current -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 23773 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20201218/04f3f3ff/attachment.txt>