[Corpora-List] 2 year postdoc in NLP at the University of Edinburgh

Alex Lascarides alex at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 18:08:02 CET 2020

Research Associate in NLP and Governence in Trustworthy Autonomous Systems

School of Informatics University of Edinburgh

Deadline: 5pm GMT, 18th January 2021 to be guaranteed to be considered.

Fixed term: up to 24 months, from 1st March 2021, full time.

Salary: 33,797 to 40,322, depending on experience.

Link to more information and to apply: https://elxw.fa.em3.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/227/?utm_medium=jobshare

Job Description

The Opportunity:

(TAS) programme, funded through the UKRI Strategic Priorities Fund and delivered by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). The TAS programme brings together research communities and key stakeholders to drive forward cross-disciplinary, fundamental research to ensure that autonomous systems are safe, reliable, resilient, ethical and trusted.

The appointee to this post, in the area of NLP, will be supervised by Prof Alex Lascarides, and also work closely with Prof Alan Bundy, Dr Ajitha Rajan and Prof Subramanian Ramamoorthy who leads the Research Node. This post will be based in the School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh.

The post is primarily open to someone with a background and PhD in in AI, Machine Learning or similar area, and practical experience with machine learning for NLP and image processing.

Your skills and attributes for success:

Essential:

A PhD (or near completion) in AI, Machine Learning or similar. Background and practical experience with machine learning for NLP

and image processing. An excellent track record of publications in top tier conferences

and/or journals in NLP, AI and ML (e.g., CL, TACL, JAIR, JML,

NeurIPS, ICML, AAAI, IJCAI, (NA)(E)ACL, EMNLP) Excellent proven programming skills Ability to work effectively as part of a team, to meet deadlines,

and to report on project progress.

Desirable:

The PhD focussed on NLP and/or image processing Experience in Information Extraction tasks and/or dialogue processing. Familiarity with formal specifications of dynamic and partially

observable environments, and automated reasoning techniques. Experience in deploying NLP and/or automated reasoning models in

autonomous systems.

All enquiries should be directed to Prof Ram Ramamoorthy: s.ramamoorthy at ed.ac.uk

Feedback is only provided to interviewed candidates.

Click here for a copy of the full job description:

https://uoe.sharepoint.com/:w:/s/jobdescriptionlibrary/EU6r2bntv6BBnP409cQXLnwB8Tk7K9-Ojmnwff685NABMA?rtime=TdMD4qii2Eg

As a valued member of our team you can expect:

An exciting, positive, creative, challenging and rewarding place to work. We give you support, nurture your talent and reward success. You will benefit from a competitive reward package and a wide range of staff benefits, which includes a generous holiday entitlement, a defined benefits pension scheme, staff discounts, family friendly initiatives, flexible working and much more. Access our staff benefits page for further information and use our reward calculator to find out the total value of pay and benefits provided.

The University of Edinburgh holds a Silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our commitment to advance gender equality in higher education. We are members of the Race Equality Charter and we are also Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champions, actively promoting LGBT equality.

If invited for interview you will be required to evidence your right to work in the UK. Further information is available on our right to work webpages

The University is able to sponsor the employment of international workers in this role. If successful, an international applicant requiring sponsorship to work in the UK will need to satisfy the UK Home Office’s English Language requirements and apply for and secure a Tier 2/Skilled Worker Visa. About Us As a world-leading research-intensive University, we are here to address tomorrow’s greatest challenges. Between now and 2030 we will do that with a values-led approach to teaching, research and innovation, and through the strength of our relationships, both locally and globally. About the Team Informatics is the study of how natural and artificial systems store, process and communicate information. Research in Informatics promises to take information technology to a new level, and to place information at the heart of 21st century science, technology and society. The School enjoys collaborations across many disciplines in the University, spanning all three College, and also participates as a strategic partner in the Alan Turing Institute and, with Heriot-Watt University, in the Edinburgh Centre for Robotics.

The School provides a fertile environment for a wide range of studies focused on understanding computation in both artificial and natural systems. It attracts students around the world to study in our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, and currently has approximately 1000 undergraduate students, 320 MSc students and 350 PhD students. Informatics is one of seven schools in the College of Science and Engineering, at the University of Edinburgh. It is recognised for the employability of its graduates (demand exceeds supply), its contributions to entrepreneurship, and the excellence of its research. Since the first Research Assessment Exercise in 1986, Informatics at Edinburgh has consistently been assessed to have more internationally excellent and world-class research than any other submission in Computer Science and Informatics. The latest REF 2014 results have again confirmed that ours is the largest concentration of internationally excellent research in the UK. This contributes to our ranking in the top 15 CS departments world-wide according to the latest Times Higher Education ranking.

We aim to ensure that our culture and systems support flexible and family-friendly working and recognise and value diversity across all our staff and students. The School has an active programme offering support and professional development for all staff; providing mentoring, training, and networking opportunities.

The School of Informatics holds a Silver Athena SWAN award, in recognition of our commitment to advance gender equality in higher education and research. http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/informatics Applicant Privacy Notice

Cookies in use

Website accessibility

Freedom of information publication scheme

Page Research Associate - University of Edinburgh Jobs Careers loaded

https://elxw.fa.em3.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/227/?utm_medium=jobshare

-- The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336.