[Corpora-List] Call for Papers: 5th Annual Law & Corpus Linguistics Conference

jesse.egbert at yahoo.com jesse.egbert at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 20:24:07 CEST 2019

Deadline: October 1, 2019

Contact: James Heilpern, heilpernj at law.byu.edu

Event Date: February 6-7, 2020

Location: Brigham Young University, Provo, UT

Brigham Young University Law School will host the Fifth Annual Law & Corpus Linguistics Conference in Provo, UT on February 6-7, 2020. Although we will consider any paper related to law and corpus linguistics, broadly construed, our strong preference this year will be for papers related to either the canons of construction or intellectual property law. Keynote speakers will include Professor William Eskridge, Jr. (Yale) and Professor Doug Litchman (UCLA). We have also confirmed that several prominent members of the judiciary will be in attendance including judges on the U.S. Circuit Court for the Federal Circuit and U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.

Canons: One of the panels will focus on so-called “linguistic” or “semantic” canons of construction. These canons—such as expressio unius, ejusdem generis, the presumption of consistent meaning, and the presumption against surplusage—are often justified on the ground that they accurately describe common conventions of language usage. At the same time, no one thinks that the premises of these canons always hold; they are viewed as presumptions, which thus raise the question of when the presumptions stand, and in what circumstances they are rebutted.

For a panel that will address these canons, we are seeking co-authored papers from inter-disciplinary teams comprised of legal scholars and linguists. Each team should identify one or more canons that they propose to analyze, with a linguistic framework for evaluating the viability of the canon and for identifying criteria in which the canon will hold and circumstances in which it may not.

Intellectual Property: The law school is also specifically seeking original proposals for papers to be presented at the conference as part of a panel on Corpus Linguistics and IP Law. Topics include (but are not limited to) the application of corpus linguistics to trademark dilution, genericide, prior art determinations, patent claim construction, and copyrightability.

The proposal deadline is October 1, 2019. Proposals should include an abstract of 500-750 words, a full outline, and complete contact information. Please send materials to Tom Lee at leet at law.byu.edu.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 7602 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20190917/644f4635/attachment.txt>