[Corpora-List] SemEval discussion at NAACL 2019

Valerio Basile basile at di.unito.it
Wed Jun 19 13:46:11 CEST 2019

Hi all,

thank you Ted for bringing up this discussion, to which I also participated in person at SemEval, as one of the task organizers (Task 5). I personally support the idea of a stronger emphasis on the report and the analysis, rather than on the leaderboard. A "best analysis" award, or giving the oral slot to the best described system, or even keeping in the leaderboard only the teams who submitted a report, are all good ideas in this direction.

I would also like to point at an alternative approach, that is, making the tasks *harder*, to encourage the participation of who intends to study semantic phenomena, rather than obtaining a high score only. Here by harder I mean *formally* harder, in terms of structure, while not necessarily as in "AI-hard". From the organization of Task 5 (approx. 70 participating teams), and the results presented for other, more popular tasks, I got the impression that if you throw a text classification-like task at the crowd, the crowd will throw the latest neural network at it, very often with minimal (if any) study of the problem the task aims at modeling, neither before (motivation to use a specific model for a specific phenomenon) nor after (why the model performed how it did). As a result, at the end of a task like that, we have learned several new acronyms, but nothing on the actual problem, whether be it hate speech, offensive language, sentiment, or whatever else. Nothing wrong with neural networks of course, these and related supervised learning paradigms are central to NLP, but perhaps this kind of benchmarking of neural models on datasets is not completely in line with the overall goal of SemEval?

In hindsight, in Task 5 (hate speech detection), I would have liked to ask the systems to predict e.g., "why this message can be considered hateful", "what is the target of hate", or "what hate speech law does this message violate", rather than "HS/not-HS". Understandably, casting tasks as more complex than tweet-level text classification makes them harder to organize them, and probably would lead to far less submissions, so my proposal could be a bit extreme. Maybe the right solution is somewhere in the middle.

Valerio