[Corpora-List] Corpus Linguistics Summer School, Birmingham, UK, 24-28 June 2019

Florent Perek florent.perek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 19:24:17 CET 2019

We are happy to announce the 4th Corpus Linguistics Summer School at the University of Birmingham, UK, to take place 24-28 June 2019.

Attendance is open to all on a first come, first served basis, upon payment of the registration fee through the university’s online shop; places will be limited. Registration is to open on 21 January 2019. The link to the shop will be posted on https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/corpus/events/2019/summer-school-2019.aspx

Registration fee: £150 student, £190 non-student

For more information, please visit https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/corpus/events/2019/summer-school-2019.aspx

Speakers:

This year, our participants will have the pleasure to hear contributions by Paul Baker (Lancaster University), Guillaume Desagulier (Université Paris 8), and members of our local staff of corpus linguistics, including Anna Cermakova, Susan Hunston, Jack Grieve, Michaela Mahlberg, and Bodo Winter, among others. Paul Baker will be giving the annual Sinclair Lecture (https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/corpus/events/sinclair-lectures.aspx).

Programme:

Our Corpus Linguistics Summer School aims to equip participants with critical expertise in both theory and practice of corpus-based linguistic research. Over the course of five days, participants will be actively involved in two kinds of sessions. First, hands-on sessions will put the emphasis on the learning of practical skills for the purpose of extracting, annotating, and analysing corpus data of various kinds, and the application of this knowledge to specific research projects. Second, participants will also learn about current corpus-based research.

Topics of sessions will include (non-exhaustively):

- Corpus tools and specialized software - Statistics in corpus linguistics - Discourse studies - Annotation of corpus data - Social media and Big Data - Pattern Grammar and applied corpus linguistics