[Corpora-List] Professor for Applied Linguistics with a focus on writing and text production research at U Bremen, Germany

Nihal Yağmur Aydın nyagmuraydin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 23:31:29 CET 2019

Hello everyone,

As some comments came, I would like to add that, the project I joined before was a past collaboration with other departments of Uni Bremen , and my comments involve some other departments, too.

So, my complaints about Nazism and gender inequality are about university and management in general.

Especially, verbal abuse of men were quite disturbing. Unfortunately, university management and department did not do anything for this, and chose to terminate my contract after my complaints, instead of teaching men how to behave to woman... The approach is like this when you work for this university. *** In fact, I learnt about verbal abuse after working there. Because that was the first time I was verbally abused in academia and I couldn't know what to do. I also studied Nazism afterwards, because I did not know why many things there happening to me. *** So, before going to any place outside of your country, and if you are a woman, you should study some definitions and learn about what to do if you face them.

Verbal abuse, discrimination, Nazism etc. All together. It can happen anywhere and you should be prepared before it happens.. *** Study all these if you go somewhere abroad, but if you are a woman, your life would be much more harder.

Best of Luck!

Regards,

- I am currently employed in France, and happy at my current work place!
:)

24 Aralık 2019 Salı tarihinde Nihal Yağmur Aydın <nyagmuraydin at gmail.com> yazdı:
> Hello everyone,
> Being past member of this department(research associate), I don't suggest
this university to any person from my country, as my rights as Turkish citizen have been highly breached during my employment.

> In Germany, even if they declare some laws for employment at
univerisites, some of the rules are serious breach of rights.
> Illegal data collection by professors (for my social setting in Germany)
and gender inequality are real concerns.

> Moreover, Nazism still exists in this university, as you know, Nazi
generation was only one generation before so it still exists in public sector.

> I wanted to share this, to inform others, because as I studied at the
best universities of Turkey, many people knowing that I went there, could be eager to go. Or if someone sees it on my CV, they think that it is a good reference.

> I don't reference this university for anyone from my country, plus,
foreigners.

> I share this because my rights as Turkish citizen allow me to write my
opinions "publicly" due to my right of freedom of speech,which was also breached during my employment...

> Nowadays, everybody writes some laws on the ads, but most of them are
"just to write".

> Best Regards,
> Nihal.
>
> 3 Aralık 2019 Salı tarihinde Marcus Callies <callies at uni-bremen.de> yazdı:
>>
>> In the context of the programme for the promotion of early-career
academics launched by the federal government and the "Länder", the University of Bremen’s Faculty of Linguistics & Literary Studies (Faculty 10) is advertising a

>> Professor (f/m/d) (W1, with tenure track towards W2)
>> for Applied Linguistics with a focus on writing and text production
research

>> initially with provisional civil-servant status, reference number: JP
676/19

>> to be filled at the next possible date. This professorship will
initially be offered for a period of three years. It can be extended for a further three years following a positive orientational interim evaluation. Assuming a further positive evaluation after six years at the latest, the position will be converted into a tenured professorship (W2 on the German salary scale for university professors).

>> The Faculty of Linguistics & Literary Studies subscribes to a modern
interpretation of philology which embraces an interdisciplinary dimensioning of its subject areas. In this spirit, the Faculty is establishing an interdisciplinary professorship of Applied Linguistics with a focus on writing and text production research. The professorship should contribute to creating synergies between the individual philologies of the Faculty.

>> The University of Bremen is thus looking for an academic with a research
profile in Applied Linguistics focusing on the empirical investigation of writing and text production processes, preferably with reference to academic texts. Applicants will contribute to further developing the Faculty’s research profile while at the same time linking up the teaching activities within the Faculty’s individual study programmes. Early-career applicants will have gathered experience in independent research and university-level teaching and will be able to demonstrate that their work in the field can be expected to result in national and international visibility and recognition.

>> Applicants are expected to show research experience in Applied
Linguistics focusing on empirical research into writing and text production (in the subject areas of English, German or Romance philology), additionally showing the potential for interdisciplinary widening.

>> The professorship is situated at the interface of research and teaching
in linguistics. Thus, close collaboration with the individual philological disciplines of the faculty is essential. A readiness to obtain third-party funding for research projects will be expected. Teaching duties will include courses in the BA and MA study programmes of the faculty, with a special emphasis on the teaching of linguistics in the applied study components “Language and Journalism”, “Translation and Interpreting” and “The Language of Advertising and Public Relations”. There is scope for development in research on academic writing and the evaluation of different forms of writing support (e.g. writing coaching). The position also includes a perspective for the future development of a concept for a university writing centre in cooperation with already existing formats (e.g. writing support, coaching and workshops provided by the Foreign Language Centre (FZHB), Bremen Early Career Researcher Development (BYRD) and the different faculties) Applicants are also expected to participate in the Bremen Humanities collaborative research initiative Worlds of Contradiction (http://www.woc.uni-bremen.de/en/).

>> Applicants will be expected to consider aspects of gender and diversity
in their research and teaching, and must be able to also offer classes in English.
>> In the initial period of their work at the University of Bremen,
tenure-track professors receive a reduction in their teaching load in order to be able to focus on extending their academic research profile.

>> Applicants are required to demonstrate:
>>
>> evidence of a relevant, completed university degree
>> an outstanding doctorate or PhD in Linguistics (with a focus on
empirical writing and text production research), completed no longer than five years ago
>> very good language skills in German and English that will enable the
successful candidate to teach classes in both languages; if applicable a good knowledge of a Romance language (Spanish or French)
>> experience in the field of teaching academic writing competence
>> (initial) experience in acquiring third-party funding
>> didactic qualification to teach at university level.
>>
>> Appointment to the professorship will be on the basis of §§18 and 18a of
the Bremen Regulations Governing Universities (Bremer Hochschulgesetz) and §117 of the Bremen Regulations Governing Civil Servants (Bremer Beamtengesetz). Applicants who obtained a doctorate or PhD in Bremen must have changed university after obtaining their doctorate or PhD, or have worked outside the University of Bremen for at least two years. Independent of the temporal distance to the doctorate or PhD (a maximum of five years), previous phases of employment at universities and research institutions should not exceed six years in total (see § 117 of the Bremen Regulations Governing Civil Servants (Bremer Beamtengesetz).

>> The University of Bremen is concerned to increase the number of women in
the academy. It has won several awards from gender-equality programmes and has received official certification as a family-friendly university. Applications from female academics are emphatically encouraged. Applications from candidates from a migrant background as well as from candidates from other countries are very welcome. Severely handicapped applicants with essentially the same professional and personal suitability as other applicants will be given priority.

>> Applications with the usual documents must be sent to the following
address by 10 January 2020 stating the reference number JP 676/19:

>> Universität Bremen
>> Fachbereich 10 Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaften
>> – Verwaltung –
>> Frau Nathalie Hilken
>> Universitäts-Boulevard 13
>> 28359 Bremen.
>>
>> Further queries concerning the professorship should be addressed to the
Dean of the Faculty, Prof. Dr. Thomas Althaust (althausuni-bremen.de).

procedures and negotiations under www.uni-bremen.de/berufungsverfahren and on tenure-track professorships under www.uni-bremen.de/universitaet/wissenschaftliche-karriere/tenure-track-juniorprofessuren/

https://benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/ijlcr/main