Deadline for abstract submission: 8 March 2020
The symposium will take place on Saturday 4 July 2020 at Edge Hill University.
The focus of LxGr is the interaction of lexis and grammar. The focus is influenced by Halliday's view of lexis and grammar as "complementary perspectives" (1991: 32), and his conception of the two as notional ends of a continuum (lexicogrammar), in that "if you interrogate the system grammatically you will get grammar-like answers and if you interrogate it lexically you get lexis-like answers" (1992: 64).
LxGr primarily welcomes papers reporting on corpus-based research on any aspect of the interaction of lexis and grammar, and is particularly interested in studies that interrogate the system lexicogrammatically to get lexicogrammatical answers. However, position papers discussing theoretical or methodological issues are also welcome, as long as they are relevant to both lexicogrammar and corpus linguistics. More specifically, studies can ...
* focus more on the lexis or grammar end of the continuum, or adopt an integrative approach.
* discuss different interpretations of the nature of lexicogrammar.
* operate within any theoretical approach that takes into account the interaction of lexis and grammar; e.g. Construction Grammar, Lexical Grammar, Pattern Grammar, Systemic Functional Grammar, Valency Grammar.
* discuss empirical findings in need of theoretical interpretation.
* adopt a synchronic or diachronic approach.
* examine any language, or compare different languages.
* examine L1 and/or L2 use.
* discuss the implications of the findings of corpus-based lexicogrammatical research for applied linguistics (e.g. forensic linguistics, lexicography, language acquisition, language processing, language teaching, language testing and assessment, translation, sociolinguistics, discourse studies).
* report on the development of relevant resources for research and/or applications (e.g. language teaching, translation).
If you would like to present, send an abstract of 500 words (excluding references) to Costas Gabrielatos (gabrielc at edgehill.ac.uk<mailto:gabrielc at edgehill.ac.uk>). Please make sure that the abstract clearly specifies the research questions or hypotheses, the corpus and methodology, the theoretical orientation, and the main findings.
The deadline for abstract submission is 8 March 2020. Abstracts will be double-blind reviewed, and decisions will be communicated by 5 April 2020.
Full papers will be allocated 35 minutes (including 10 minutes for discussion). Work-in-progress reports will be allocated 20 minutes (including 5 minutes for discussion). There will be no parallel sessions.
LxGr2020 is funded by the Department of English, History & Creative Writing, Edge Hill University.
PARTICIPATION IS FREE. Refreshments and a light buffet lunch will also be provided. However, participants are expected to cover their travel and accommodation costs. Please note that the number of places is limited, and places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
For more information, visit the LxGr website (https://ehu.ac.uk/lxgr) or contact the organiser, Costas Gabrielatos (gabrielc at edgehill.ac.uk<mailto:gabrielc at edgehill.ac.uk>). ________________________________ Edge Hill University<http://ehu.ac.uk/home/emailfooter> Teaching Excellence Framework Gold Award<http://ehu.ac.uk/tef/emailfooter> ________________________________ This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and remove it from your system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Edge Hill or associated companies. Edge Hill University may monitor email traffic data and also the content of email for the purposes of security and business communications during staff absence.<http://ehu.ac.uk/itspolicies/emailfooter> -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 12029 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20191219/97c8d8b0/attachment.txt>