[Corpora-List] Fwd: Invitation ... You can nominate the “Word of the Year”

Nihal Yağmur Aydın nyagmuraydin at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 07:21:25 CET 2019

Dear Mr.Parks, Your message made me think that generally, one's usage of words heavily depends on one's own knowledge and understanding of the language (e.g. daily, literary or scientific language) So, we may think of dictionaries for "scientific use", and also, "literature use" or with another classification; as general purpose English dictionaries might not be enough to cover all parts of the language. When it comes to poems... In fact, understanding poems is not the easiest (as far as I know through my studies in British and American literature at high school) as many words might have a second or third meaning , changing based on the usage in one sentence or a general context, so some words might mean something else, and they may even refer to something "opposite", or they might be a symbol, not actually meaning the word itself. For instance, in Salinger's book called "The Catcher in the Rye", we may observe lots of symbols, which do not refer to the actual meaning at all! Consequently, literature brings another dimension for us, to go deeper into meanings... So, dictionaries are not enough to understand everything in English; but they help people to understand some context. To sum up, even if through online tools there are some attempts to cover all parts of English, there would always be something missing... That is inevitable!... *** P.S. I am able to comment on these in detail, as I studied my high school (90% English), bachelor's(100%) and master's(100%) all in English in Turkey, and another degree in UK- through distance learning, most recently. Whereas, in Turkey and in other countries outside of UK and US, it is not the most common approach to instruct students directly in another language, which affects their language use and understanding later on... I see it not only at the foreign country I reside now, but also, in order countries, too. However, it could be good to study some topics in English at earlier ages, so that many people could connect to the "world" earlier...

Best Regards, Nihal Yağmur Aydın