[Corpora-List] GermEval 2020 Task 1 on the Prediction of Intellectual Ability and Personality Traits from Text: 1st Call for Participation

Jacob Eisenstein jacobe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 19:26:19 CET 2019

As a community, we should think carefully about whether it is appropriate to work with IQ test results as data, and what the applications of this research might be.

In the United States, there is considerable evidence that IQ tests are racially biased. In the past, courts have excluded IQ tests from educational placement in California for precisely this reason. I wonder if there is research on this topic in the German context.

It is not difficult to imagine that the outcome of this shared task would be a set of technologies that encode spurious correlations between estimates of intelligence and the linguistic features of specific racial groups. If such a system were trained on data that already contains biases, there is a risk that this bias would be not only entrenched but amplified. And even if the IQ test statistics are not themselves biased, an NLP system that predicts IQ from text could introduce bias, if there is an unmeasured confound that is statistically associated with both IQ and race.

I hope that these issues will receive serious consideration from the organizers and participants in the task.

Jacob Eisenstein