[Corpora-List] Offline access to an English-English dictionary

Tristan Miller miller at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Nov 10 15:06:41 CET 2018

Dear Phoebe,

On 2018-11-10 14:42, Phoebe Lin wrote:
> I am developing an interactive English vocabulary learning app. In order
> that the built-in vocab quiz function will work, my app needs offline
> access to an English-English dictionary and an English idiom dictionary.
> Does anyone know any such dictionary resources which I can use for free
> or at a small fee? I need the headwords with definitions and, if
> available, the examples.
>
> My app is not for profit and will be open to public use for free, so I
> would prefer free resources if available. I will be very grateful indeed
> if colleagues would point me to the right direction. Thanks!

There are many such dictionaries that are freely available:

For one, there's Wiktionary <https://en.wiktionary.org/>. You can download an XML dump of the English Wiktionary from <https://dumps.wikimedia.org/> and then use a third-party API such as JWKTL <https://dkpro.github.io/dkpro-jwktl/> to access it.

Another resource you might want to look at is WordNet <https://wordnet.princeton.edu/>. This is more than just a dictionary, but does include the headwords, definitions, and examples you are looking for. There are third-party APIs for many languages, such as extJWNL for Java <https://github.com/extjwnl/extjwnl>.

Also, in RFC 2229, the IETF defined a standard client/server protocol for accessing dictionaries, called DICT. There are a huge number of software packages available for accessing such dictionaries, as well as a huge number of freely available English dictionaries (and probably a good number of non-free ones). Many of the free ones are listed here: <http://www.dict.org/links.html>

Regards, Tristan

-- Tristan Miller, Research Scientist Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab (UKP-TUDA) Department of Computer Science, Technische Universitšt Darmstadt Tel: +49 6151 162 5296 | Web: https://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/