Our new Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies (RISE), located in sunny Nicosia, Cyprus, is looking for its first research associates. The deadline for applications is Thursday, April 6th, 2018.
Members of the this community might be particularly interested in the following two Multidisciplinary Research Groups currently being formed:
* Socially-Competent Agent Technologies MRG Research focus on machine learning, computational learning theory, natural language processing and generation, story comprehension, symbolic knowledge representation, commonsense reasoning, formal argumentation, cognitive computing, explainable AI.
* Transparency in Algorithms MRG Research focus on algorithmic accountability and transparency, human biases in algorithms, user-algorithm feedback loops I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about these opportunities and/or direct you to the relevant colleagues.
Research Positions: Research Associates No. of Positions: Twenty (20) full-time equivalent (part-time/full-time) Positions Category: Employment contract Location : RISE, Nicosia, Cyprus
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies (RISE), announces twenty (20) full-time equivalent (part-time/full-time) positions for junior researchers under various Multidisciplinary Research Groups (MRGs). RISE is an equal opportunity employer. The positions are open to everyone, internationally. Applicants outside the EU may require a working VISA for Cyprus.
RISE is a newly founded research centre in Cyprus aiming to become a centre of excellence empowering knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the Municipality of Nicosia, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics (Germany), the University College London (UK) and the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and Open University of Cyprus. This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners and other sponsors.
The research focus of RISE is on interactive media. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Research in RISE integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an "Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans" philosophy. RISE is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe. For more information about RISE, please visit www.rise.org.cy<http://www.rise.org.cy/>.
There are two (2) full-time equivalent (part-time/full-time) research positions for each of the following MRGs:
1. Cognitive and Clinical Applications MRG Research focus on the development and validation of Virtual Reality and mobile applications for cognitive training and clinical interventions
2. Interactive Media and Education/Edutainment MRG Research focus on multimodal interaction and learning, emerging technologies for learning and entertainment/ edutainment, learning theory
3. Museums and Difficult Heritage MRG Research focus on museum studies, with an emphasis on difficult heritage, conflict, interactive media, citizen science and socially engaged practices
4. Real-time Populated Virtual Environments MRG Research focus on computer graphics - animation and simulation of virtual humans, as well as modelling and simulation of 3D built environments
5. Smart Networked Systems MRG Research focus on computer networks, protocols for IoT and multimedia communications, 5G technologies, security, Edge/Fog and mobile cloud computing, and Smart City applications
6. Smart Human-centred Technologies MRG Research focus on developing novel and applied techniques driven by the need to improve the quality of life of humans.
7. Smart, Ubiquitous, and Participatory Technologies for Healthcare Innovation MRG Research focus on the smart, ubiquitous, and participatory technologies for healthcare innovation
8. Socially-Competent Agent Technologies MRG Research focus on machine learning, computational learning theory, natural language processing and generation, story comprehension, symbolic knowledge representation, commonsense reasoning, formal argumentation, cognitive computing, explainable AI.
9. Transparency in Algorithms MRG Research focus on algorithmic accountability and transparency, human biases in algorithms, user-algorithm feedback loops
10. Virtual Reality for Well-being MRG Research focus on Virtual Reality for well-being/ rehabilitation by exploring the fields of brain plasticity, social neuroscience and social psychology. More details about each of the above-mentioned MRG research areas can be found at www.rise.org.cy/vacancies/mrgs<http://www.rise.org.cy/en-gb/vacancies/mrgs/>. Candidates who might be interested in more than one MRGs must clearly state their priority preference in their application.
Additional information about the application process can be found at www.rise.org.cy/vacancies<http://www.rise.org.cy/vacancies>.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, April 6th, 2018. The call will remain open and applications received after this date will be reviewed on a rolling basis, till positions are filled. For general inquiries, applicants may contact RISE at vacancies at rise.org.cy<mailto:vacancies at rise.org.cy>.
-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 35221 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20180313/164324fa/attachment.txt>