[Corpora-List] Announcing the Availability of the WikiArt Emotions Dataset

Saif Mohammad uvgotsaif at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:42:46 CEST 2018

We are happy to announce the release of the WikiArt Emotions Dataset: http://saifmohammad.com/WebPages/wikiartemotions.html

WikiArt Emotions is a dataset of 4,105 pieces of art (mostly paintings) that has annotations for emotions evoked in the observer. The pieces of art were selected from WikiArt.org's collection for twenty-two categories (impressionism, realism, etc.) from four western styles (Renaissance Art, Post-Renaissance Art, Modern Art, and Contemporary Art). WikiArt.org shows notable art in each category in a Featured page. We selected ~200 items from the featured page of each category. The art is annotated via crowdsourcing for one or more of twenty emotion categories (including neutral). In addition to emotions, the art is also annotated for whether it includes the depiction of a face and how much the observers like the art. We do not redistribute the art (images), we provide only the annotations.

Annotations Each piece of art was annotated by at least 10 people. The annotations include: - all emotions that the image of art brings to mind; - all emotions that the title of art brings to mind; - all emotions that the art as a whole (title and image) brings to mind; - a rating on a scale from -3 (dislike it a lot) to 3 (like it a lot); - whether the image shows the face or the body of at least one person or animal; - whether the art is a painting or something else (e.g., sculpture).

We asked annotators to identify the emotions that the art evokes in three scenarios: Scenario I: we present only the image (no title), and ask the annotator to identify the emotions it evokes; Scenario II: we present only the title of the art (no image), and ask the annotator to identify the emotions it evokes; Scenario III: we present both the title and the image of the art, and ask the annotator to identify the emotions that the art as a whole evokes.

Paper: WikiArt Emotions: An Annotated Dataset of Emotions Evoked by Art. Saif M. Mohammad and Svetlana Kiritchenko. In Proceedings of the 11th Edition of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC-2018), May 2018, Miyazaki, Japan.

Contact: Saif M. Mohammad (saif.mohammad at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca) Svetlana Kiritchenko (svetlana.kiritchenko at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca)

-- Saif M. Mohammad Senior Research Scientist National Research Council Canada http://www.saifmohammad.com -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 3150 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20180626/17491128/attachment.txt>