[Corpora-List] The Prime Machine free concordancer for DDL/UG linguistic research (English)

Steve Jeaco steve.jeaco at xjtlu.edu.cn
Tue Jun 5 00:23:02 CEST 2018

Dear all,

The new version of The Prime Machine (3.0.12.x) should now connect. The problem with the version I announced last week was that the initial connection test was too sensitive for people connecting from a great distance (or with a less direct connection) to the server in Suzhou.

To use it right now, you will need to download this new version from the website (ZIP or installer). If you want to get the new version from the Microsoft Store or the 360.cn Store, it will take a day or two for those store versions to be updated. Check the release date to see if they are after 3 June 2018. The update to Microsoft Store is currently at the “certification” stage, and hopefully all will go smoothly for publishing there by the end of the week. It is the first update I’ve submitted to 360.cn, but usually they are pretty fast to respond.

Many thanks to the European-based users who tried it out and helped me diagnose the problem. Also thanks to the colleagues here in China.

Probably the best way to share comments/suggestions/feature requests with me is via my own email or through the feedback available (link from the main website: www.theprimemachine.net).

Best wishes,

Stephen

PS: I really enjoyed meeting the fellow participants of the CLIC conference in Wuhan last weekend.

________________________________________ From: Steve Jeaco Sent: 31 May 2018 19:55 To: Corpora at uib.no Subject: RE: [Corpora-List] The Prime Machine free concordancer for DDL/UG linguistic research (English)

Hi,

Sorry to hear some people have had difficulty connecting.

I've emailed directly in response and I hope we can resolve connection issues.

I can confirm I'm able to connect from outside right now, and normal ping or isitdownrightnow checks won't show if there is a connection problem (the server doesn't respond to those requests).

Thank you for your interest and for your patience. It could be I need to make some adjustments to cater to a wider range of set-ups.

Best wishes,

Stephen ________________________________________ From: Ciarán Ó Duibhín [coduibhin at btinternet.com] Sent: 31 May 2018 19:07 To: Steve Jeaco Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] The Prime Machine free concordancer for DDL/UG linguistic research (English)

Hi,

All four alternative servers appear to be permanently down, see attachment, a screenshot from http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ .

Ciarán Ó Duibhín.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Jeaco" <steve.jeaco at xjtlu.edu.cn> To: <Corpora at uib.no> Sent: Monday, May 28, 2018 9:59 AM Subject: [Corpora-List] The Prime Machine free concordancer for DDL/UG linguistic research (English)

Dear All,

Those working with language learners and linguistics/English majors may be interested to know that The Prime Machine has now been publically released.

It is a learner-friendly Windows app, drawing on ready-made online corpora or small DIY corpora.

[SNIP]