[Corpora-List] 1st CFP: 14th Workshop on Innovative Use of NLP for Building Educational Applications (BEA14)

Ildiko Pilan ildiko.pilan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 09:08:13 CET 2018

(apologies for cross-posting)

First Call for Papers

The 14th Workshop on Innovative Use of

NLP for Building Educational Applications (BEA14)

Florence, Italy; August 01 or 02, 2019

(co-located with ACL)

https://sig-edu.org/bea/current

*Submission Deadline: Friday, April 26, 2019, 11:59pm EST*

*WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION*

The BEA Workshop is a leading venue for NLP innovation in the context of educational applications. It is one of the largest one-day workshops in the ACL community with over 80 attendees in the past several years. The growing interest in educational applications and a diverse community of researchers involved resulted in the creation of the *Special Interest Group in Educational Applications (SIGEDU) <https://www.aclweb.org/adminwiki/index.php?title=2018Q3_Reports:_SIGEDU>* in 2017, which currently has 144 members. The workshop’s continuing growth highlights the alignment between societal needs and technological advances.

The 14th BEA workshop will have oral presentation sessions and a large poster session in order to maximize the amount of original work presented. We expect that the workshop will continue to highlight novel technologies and opportunities for educational NLP in English as well as other languages. We will solicit papers that incorporate NLP methods, including, but not limited to: automated scoring of open-ended textual and spoken responses; game-based instruction and assessment; educational data mining; intelligent tutoring; peer review; grammatical error detection and correction; learner cognition; spoken dialog; multimodal applications; tools for teachers and test developers; and use of corpora.

*SHARED TASK: Grammatical Error Correction*

The BEA14 workshop will also host a shared task on Grammatical Error Correction.

Grammatical error correction (GEC) is the task of automatically correcting grammatical errors in text; e.g. [I follows his advices → I followed his advice]. It can be used to not only help language learners improve their writing skills, but also alert native speakers to accidental mistakes or typos.

The organizing committee for the shared task consists of: Christopher Bryant (University of Cambridge), Mariano Felice (University of Cambridge) and Ted Briscoe (University of Cambridge). You can find additional information about the shared task on our website.

*SUBMISSION INFORMATION*

We will be using the ACL Submission Guidelines for the BEA14 Workshop this year. Long papers may consist of up to eight (8) pages of content, plus unlimited references; final versions of long papers will be given one additional page of content (up to 9 pages) so that reviewers' comments can be taken into account. Short papers may consist of up to four (4) pages of content, plus unlimited references. Upon acceptance, short papers will be given five (5) content pages in the proceedings. Authors are encouraged to use this additional page to address reviewers' comments in their final versions.

Previously published papers cannot be accepted. The submissions will be reviewed by the program committee. As reviewing will be blind, please ensure that papers are anonymous.

We will be using the START conference system to manage submissions.

*IMPORTANT DATES*

*Submission Deadline: Friday, April 26, 2019, 11:59pm EST *

Notification of Acceptance: Friday, May 24, 2019

Camera-ready Papers Due: Monday, June 3, 2019

Workshop: Thursday or Friday, August 1 or 2, 2019 (TBD)

*ORGANIZING COMMITTEE*

Helen Yannakoudakis University of Cambridge (primary contact)

Ekaterina Kochmar, University of Cambridge

Claudia Leacock, Grammarly

Nitin Madnani, Educational Testing Service

Ildikó Pilán, Develop Diverse

Torsten Zesch, University of Duisburg-Essen

*Workshop contact email address: bea.nlp.workshop at gmail.com <bea.nlp.workshop at gmail.com>*

For further information, please visit our website: https://sig-edu.org/bea/current -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 15594 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20181221/5544ee4e/attachment.txt>