[Corpora-List] Two Phd studentships open in Natural Language Processing

eneko e.agirre at ehu.eus
Wed Nov 29 12:17:55 CET 2017

IXA NLP Group (http://ixa.eus/) Computer Science Faculty. University of the Basque Country, San Sebastian.

The IXA group invites applications for two PhD studentships starting October 2018, for a period of three to four years.

The PhD positions are funded by the Spanish government in a competitive call. We are ready to host and supervise the candidate, and to assist with the PhD project and application procedure. The studentships cover tuition fees and an stipend of 16.422€ per year (1.173€ in 14 monthly payments)

Some possible topics for the PhD are the following:

- Machine Translation. Applying Unsupervised Machine Translation to

  improve MT with scarce resources in specific domains and specific

  language pairs.

- Knowledge Acquisition. Learning by Interacting with Humans: Use

  previous dialogue experiences to train the domain and dialogue

  management modules of chatbots, based on deep learning techniques,

  with applications to community question answering.

- Multilingual Text Acquisition. Automatic development of semantic

  processors leveraging parallel data: (i) using word alignments

  traditionally used in MT (ii) using continuous word representations.

- Vision and Language. Multimodal representations for richer semantic

  interpretations: using grounded multimodal representation for word and

  sentences that combine textual and visual features to acquire

  background knowledge information

- Deep learning for NLP. Deep learning architectures to model Natural

  Language Inference (NLI and STS datasets), with applications to

  community question answering.

- Deep learning for NLP. Learning by interacting with humans: Use

  previous dialogue experiences to train the domain and dialogue

  management modules of chatbots, based on deep learning techniques,

  with applications to community question answering.

- Domain Adaptation: Explore automatic techniques to improve the

  performance of NLP tools in legal and medical domains, with emphasis

  on information extraction

- Discourse and Pragmatics: Coreference and Opinion Mining. / Event

  identification. /Discourse Structure and Summarization.

The procedure is roughly the following:

- Send an e-mail to <a.soroa at ehu.eus> including a CV by 5th of December

  (see details below).

- Applicant should be available for an interview by skype or similar if

  needed.

- Selected candidates will apply for the Spanish government funds (FPU

  grants) around the end of December.

The CV should include degrees and grades (very important), names of two references and a brief motivation letter stating your research interests and past experience. All documents should be sent as a single PDF.

The approximate schedule would be the following: - The Spanish government publishes a first round of selection by the end

  of March. - The candidates will agree with the supervisor a specific PhD project

  by the end of May. - The Spanish government publishes their decision by the end of

  July. - Finally, the PhD would start in October.

Requirements ************

240 ECTS already completed with excellent grades in a computer science-related degree.

Additional 60 ECTS e.g. in a master degree to be completed by September 2018 at the latest.

Experience in NLP and deep learning preferred. Excellent programming and mathematical skills preferred. Fluent English

Please see URL for the details about the Spanish Government call: (http://www.mecd.gob.es/servicios-al-ciudadano-mecd/catalogo/educacion/estudiantes/becas-ayudas/para-estudiar/universidad/doctorado/fpu.html)

Additional Information **********************

- About IXA Research Group (http://ixa.eus/)

IXA is a research group working, on the natural language processing at the University of the Basque Country , It is a multidisciplinary group composed of 42 computer scientists and 12 linguists.  We work together on algorithms, tools and linguistic resources that allow computers to process and understand human languages. Our work ranges from basic research in computational linguistics to key applications in human language technology, and covers areas such as Information Retrieval and Information Extraction, Machine Translation, Language learning, Morphology, Syntax-Morphosyntax, Lexicography-Semantics, Basic facilities and Integrations of Language Tools (XML).

- About the University of the Basque Country (https://www.ehu.eus/en/web/guest/en-home)

In a prosperous region stretching along the Atlantic coast of northern Spain, the people of the Basque Country are the custodians of one of Europe's most ancient languages and cultures. Yet, they not only have a high esteem for tradition, but are also remarkably forward-looking and have established a highly regarded industrial sector.

The region's success and scientific and technological progress are underpinned by the University of the Basque Country, a vibrant 30-year-old institution with 45,000 students, 5,000 world-class academic staff and state-of-the-art facilities. Following our motto 'Give and spread knowledge', the University of the Basque Country is an integrating institution willing to produce knowledge, experience and research in order to forward them to the general public. Our courses catalogue consists of 67 Bachelor´s Degrees in all fields of knowledge. At postgraduate level, we offer 103 official master programmes, 44 professional & expert diplomas and 71 PhD programmes.

The University of the Basque Country wishes to host an unrestricted and multicultural community. Our International Relations Office manages over 900 exchange agreements with other Spanish, European and International universities. Every year, our three campuses turn into lively melting pots where over 900 foreign students blend in with our local trainees. We take part in SICUE, the Spanish universities students´ exchange programme; ERASMUS, the most extended European mobility programme; and we furthermore have created our own exchange programmes with Latin-America (UPV/EHU-AMÉRICA LATINA) and other destinations (the USA, Canada, The Philipine Islands, New Zealand, Russia).

- About San Sebastian (https://www.sansebastianturismo.com/en/)

San Sebastián is a resort town on the Bay of Biscay in Spain’s mountainous Basque Country. It’s known for Playa de la Concha and Playa de Ondarreta, beaches framed by a picturesque bayfront promenade, and world-renowned restaurants helmed by innovative chefs. In its cobblestoned old town (Parte Vieja), upscale shops neighbor vibrant pintxo bars pairing local wines with bite-size regional specialties. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 8585 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://www.uib.no/mailman/public/corpora/attachments/20171129/bebebbf4/attachment.txt>