[Corpora-List] WordNet ignores function words ...

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Fri May 5 08:27:40 CEST 2017

On 5/4/2017 4:59 PM, maxwell wrote:
> My suspicion is that the human linguist would come out well, maybe
> even better. But as I say, I'm biased; I'm a linguist at heart.

I agree. And I cite Charles C. Fries as a linguist who pioneered corpus linguistics in the 1950s. For a bio, see http://clu.uni.no/icame/ij34/Fries.pdf

His corpus was tiny by today's standards, but he did good work with it. Unfortunately, Chomsky put Fries and his methods on his "enemies list" -- along with Victor Yngve (who had hired him to work on machine translation at MIT).

I believe that linguistics and computational linguistics would both have made better progress if Chomsky had done what he was paid to do.

John