[Corpora-List] WordNet ignores function words ...

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu May 4 09:02:02 CEST 2017

On 5/3/2017 5:02 PM, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> Do you/does anyone in our list know of ways to associate "links"
> (what they call "stop words") to syntax

Yes. It's called parsing. Any method that throws away stop words and inflections (e.g. word vectors) throws away all the structure in language. No such method can do language understanding.

I realize that word vectors are popular because people can get lots of funding from advertisers who want to know what people think about Pepsi vs. Coke.

But if you want to use vectors (or other numeric methods), you need to encode structure along with the word frequencies. For examples, see http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/cogmem.pdf

John