[Corpora-List] Corpus documentation: how to describe a corpus?

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 19:35:58 CEST 2017

Hi, Michael,

Great question--thanks for bringing it up, and I wish that I knew the answer! I hope that you'll collate/summarize responses.

One way to think about this would be broad categories like the following. Most papers on corpora talk about some of them, but not necessarily all:

Collection *process*: where did the data come from? What were the inclusion/exclusion criteria? Were duplicates excluded? Did documents get truncated at some maximum length? On and on... Corpus *contents*: size of corpus *and *of corpora *and *of documents: size in tokens, size in words, size in... (size in types gets you beyond description to a theory of lemmas) On and on... Annotation *process/results*: number of annotators (if any), backgrounds of annotators (if any), agreement between annotators (if any), metadata... on and on... Distribution/*availability*: can one get the data? If so, how, and from where? At what cost, and with what reannotation/redistribution restrictions? On and on...

Looking forward to other answers!

Kevin