[Corpora-List] Event identification tool

Amir Zeldes Amir.Zeldes at georgetown.edu
Wed Jul 26 15:11:39 CEST 2017

Hi Andreea,

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but xrenner is a non-named entity recognizer whose English model also identifies nominal mentions of events (so it can tag NPs like 'a catastrophe' or 'the museum opening' as an event in context):

https://corpling.uis.georgetown.edu/xrenner/

But this is only helpful for events referred to as nominals.

Best, Amir ------------ Dr. Amir Zeldes Asst. Prof. of Computational Linguistics Department of Linguistics Georgetown University 1437 37th St. NW Washington, DC 20057

http://corpling.uis.georgetown.edu/amir

-----Original Message----- From: corpora-bounces at uib.no [mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of Aldo Gangemi Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 3:47 PM To: Andreea Macovei Cc: corpora at uib.no Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Event identification tool

Hi Andreea, one established tool for (explicitly mentioned) event extraction is FRED [1]. It uses a pipeline of NLP and Semantic Web techniques to extract a “knowledge graph”, in which events are typed (independently from the parts of speech they are expressed by), and associated among them and with their participants. They are also linked automatically to publicly identified entities and concepts. Only requirement: need to learn the basics of RDF and SPARQL languages.

Aldo

[1] http://wit.istc.cnr.it/stlab-tools/fred/