[Corpora-List] The MODAL Corpus

Paola Pietrandrea paolapietrandrea at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:49:59 CET 2017

Dear colleagues,

we are pleased to announce the release of the MODAL Corpus.

The Modal Corpus consists of *three equivalent resources of English, French and Italian dialogues *drawn, respectively, from the Santa Barbara Corpus of Spoken American English <http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/research/santa-barbara-corpus> (for English),the ESLO Corpus <http://eslo.huma-num.fr/>, plus the OTG Corpus <http://www.info.univ-tours.fr/~antoine/parole_publique/OTG/index.html>and the Accueil UBS Corpus <http://www.info.univ-tours.fr/~antoine/parole_publique/Accueil_UBS/index.html> (for French), the VoLip Corpus <http://www.parlaritaliano.it/index.php/it/volip>(for Italian) *annotated for epistemic modality*.

We annotated about *20.000 words per language for a total amount of 2824 epistemic constructions* (833 for the English Corpus, 1271 for the French Corpus, 720 for the Italian Corpus)

In order to annotate epistemic modality in dialogues we subscribed to *a communitarian* (Stalnaker 1978), *dynamic* (Groenendijk & Stokhof, 1991) and * interactionist* (Ginzburg 2012)* approach to semantics*, which led us to refine the traditional definition of epistemicity and put forward that *any construction that explicitly signal the process of shared attribution of a truth value to the propositional tokens that compose a discourse should be considered as an epistemic construction. *

*W**e provided a theoretical meaningful*, *operationalizable definition of epistemic modality *and, on this ground, *we identified the linguistic constructions that realize epistemic modality in the three different languages. *

In a second step, *we specified the semantic, syntactic and pragmatic function of each epistemic construction identified. *

The Modal Project was funded by "*La Maison des Sciences de l'Homme du Val de Loire*", the *IRCOM Consortium*, the "*Laboratoire Ligérien de Linguistique - UMR7270*", the *Groningen Meaning Bank*.

THE ANNOTATED CORPUS IS AVAILABLE *HERE <http://modal.msh-vdl.fr/index.php/le-corpus/?lang=en>.* -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 4320 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20170123/9206bdf7/attachment.txt>