[Corpora-List] IAFL travel awards for the Porto conference

Rui Sousa-Silva r.sousasilva at llf.pt
Sat Jan 21 11:14:26 CET 2017

Dear all,

I thought this might be of interest to some of you / your post-graduate students intending to present at the 13th Biennial Conference of the International Association of Forensic Linguists (IAFL PORTO 2017 - http://web.letras.up.pt/IAFLPorto2017) in Porto.

Rui Sousa Silva

Dear all

Following up Rui’s announcement that registrations are now open we, as the IAFL exec, would like to announce this year’s travel awards. As you may be aware, for IAFL’s biennial conferences, IAFL has traditionally offered awards to contribute to student members travel.

For the 12th Biennial IAFL Conference in Guangzhou, China we were able to offer three awards and on this occasion I’m delighted to say that IAFL is able to expand its support for attending the conference by offering a total of six awards.

The three named awards acknowledge the contributions by distinguished scholars to the understanding of forensic linguistics and language of the law and their promotion of the field. The Malcolm Coulthard Award honours the founding president of the International Association of Forensic Linguists. The Roger Shuy Award honours Professor Shuy for his contributions to FL scholarship and his generous founding gift of a student travel award. The Teresa M. Turell Award honours the former president of the Association, and preference for the award in her honour will be given to students from Spanish-speaking or Portuguese-speaking countries. Each of these named awards provides a waiver of conference registration fees and reimburses reasonable travel costs up to a maximum of US $1,000.

In addition to these awards we wish to offer three further awards each worth a waiver of conference registration fees plus travel costs of up to US $500. We make these awards without setting any precedent for future conferences because of the secure financial position in which IAFL currently finds itself.

All of the awards are available to postgraduate students whose paper has been accepted for presentation at the conference and who present the paper in person. Preference will be given to applicants who would otherwise find travel expenses to the conference prohibitive and provide evidence of the potential to contribute to the development and promotion of the discipline of forensic linguistics. All awards will be provided as re-imbursement after presentation of a paper at IAFL in Porto.

Each application should be in the form of a 400 - 500 word statement detailing the applicant's qualifications and academic experience and addressing the criteria above. The abstract of the paper the applicant intends to present at the conference should also be appended to the email message. A single application will suffice for all the awards.

Your application should be forwarded to Georgina Heydon georgina.heydon at rmit.edu.au<mailto:georgina.heydon at rmit.edu.au> , as Vice-President of IAFL who will Chair a committee to consider the applications. The closing date for applications will be 17th February 2017 and we will hope to announce the awards within a couple of weeks of that date.

Best wishes and I look forward to seeing many of you in Porto in July.

Tim

* Go to the group homepage at www.jiscmail.ac.uk/forensic-linguistics<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/forensic-linguistics> and choose the 'Subscribe or Unsubscribe' link from that page. You will receive a confirmation email which you will need to respond to. or: * send the following command to listserv at jiscmail.ac.uk<mailto:listserv at jiscmail.ac.uk> : unsubscribe forensic-linguistics <Yourfirstname> <Yourlastname>

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/html Size: 7212 bytes Desc: not available URL: <https://mailman.uib.no/public/corpora/attachments/20170121/db8b7bbf/attachment.txt>