[Corpora-List] CfP: "I-Land Journal" - Special Issue - "Current Politics and the Printed Media: Discursive Tensions in the Age of Populism 3.0"

Miguel-Angel Benitez-Castro mbenitez at unizar.es
Fri Jan 13 11:07:07 CET 2017

Dear colleagues,

I would be most grateful if you could help circulate the following call for papers for the second monographic issue of the "I-Land Journal - Identity, Language and Diversity", titled: "Current Politics and the Printed Media: Discursive Tensions in the Age of Populism 3.0".

Best regards,

Miguel-Angel -- Dr. Miguel-Angel Benitez-Castro Departamento de Filología Inglesa y Alemana (Department of English and German Studies) Facultad de Ciencias Sociales y Humanas Universidad de Zaragoza Ciudad Escolar, s/n 44003 - TERUEL(Spain) Tel: -34-978 - 64 53 41 (office) Fax: -34-978- 61 81 03 E-mail: mbenitez at unizar.es

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- CALL FOR PAPERS FOR THE SPECIAL ISSUE: "CURRENT POLITICS AND THE PRINTED MEDIA: DISCURSIVE TENSIONS IN THE AGE OF POPULISM 3.0" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The second monographic issue of the I-LanD Journal will be centred on the discursive representation of current politics in the printed media and will be edited by Miguel Ángel Benítez Castro (Department of English and German Studies, University of Zaragoza), Francesca De Cesare (Department of Literary, Linguistic and Comparative Studies, University of Naples “L’Orientale”), Encarnación Hidalgo Tenorio (Department of English and German Studies, University of Granada).

Given the thematic scope of this issue, contributions should adhere to any of the following broad research strands:

- Relationships between linguistic ideologies and the socio-political contexts where these emerge - Argumentative and persuasive strategies underlying linguistic ideologies - Different linguistic ideologies present in the printed press

More specific topics of discussion are listed below:

- Right-wing populism in conservative and left-wing tabloid and broadsheet newspapers - Left-wing populism in conservative and left-wing tabloid and broadsheet newspapers - Populisms in Europe (e.g. France, Germany, Spain, Russia, Netherlands, Greece, Italy) - Populisms in America (e.g. United States, Latin America) - Populisms in Asia (e.g. Korea, China, Syria) - Populism and terrorism - Women and populism

Contributions are expected to be discursively inspired in their methodology, so that they may draw on any of the following approaches: rhetoric, semiotics, cognitive linguistics, psycholinguistics, systemic-functional grammar, critical discourse analysis, visual grammar, corpus-assisted discourse analysis, or computational linguistics, to name but a few.

Both Spanish and English original manuscripts will be considered for publication in this issue, which will comprise two sections, one for each language.

DEADLINES

Submission of abstracts to guest editors: by 20th February 2017 Notification of acceptance/rejection to prospective contributors: by 6th March 2017 Submission of full papers to guest editors: by 10th August 2017

WORD-COUNT

The length of each abstract (to be submitted by 20th February 2017) is approximately 500 words, excluding references.

The length of individual papers (to be submitted by 10th August 2017) is approximately 7,000-8,000 words, excluding references. The attachment should not contain the author’s name and affiliation but should be accompanied by an email including such personal information.

CONTACT AND SUBMISSION E-MAIL

fdecesare at unior.it, ilandjournal at unior.it

MORE DETAILED DESCRIPTION

At present we are witnessing a dramatic change in the historical configuration of the international political scene. New discourses (mainly nationalistic, xenophobic and right-wing populist in nature) appear as a reaction as well as a proposal to transform the prevailing logic of democratic, multicultural and left-wing discourses. From our perspective, the tension between these two ways of construing political discourse may be an important line of research in various areas. In this issue, therefore, we aim to delve into the different manifestations of ideology in the international press, with the intention of investigating how these relate to the socio-political contexts where they happen to emerge. Newspapers (both in the traditional paper format and in digital editions) are metaphorical spaces whereby we define an imaginary that helps us to describe what reality "is" or what reality "should be". Ideological representations are not exclusively products of domination and social inequality. Their influence is also evident in everyday life, as they articulate the relationship between actions and shared opinions in the social practices in which individuals are involved. Thus, the discourses of power (understood as access to, and a voice in, political and journalistic communication) contribute to creating the public space and, more or less explicitly, to revealing already-existing ideological tendencies. Ideologies may be manifested through the topics texts revolve around on which a clear standpoint is generally expected or required; through the media that more often than not favour controversy; and through the individuals who are claimed to be legitimised to take the floor and give their opinion. With this in mind, we wonder who is allowed access to the use of discursive structures and who is not, who controls public discourse and who is controlled by it; in other words, what can be spoken or written about and what cannot, and, which institutions or which individuals can set the limits to what anyone can discursively express.

MORE ABOUT THE I-LAND JOURNAL

Editors in chief:

Giuditta Caliendo (University of Lille) and M. Cristina Nisco (University of Naples Parthenope)

Advisory board:

Giuseppe Balirano (University of Naples L’Orientale) Marina Bondi (University of Modena and Reggio Emilia) Delia Chiaro (University of Bologna) David Katan (University of Salento) Don Kulick (Uppsala University) Tommaso Milani (Wits University) Oriana Palusci (University of Naples L’Orientale) Paul Sambre (KU Leuven) Srikant Sarangi (Aalborg University) Christina Schäffner (Professor Emerita at Aston University) Vivien Schmidt (Boston University) Stef Slembrouck (Gent University) Marina Terkourafi (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) Girolamo Tessuto (Seconda Università di Napoli) Johann Unger (Lancaster University)

Copy editors: Eleonora Esposito (Sultan Qaboos University), Antonio Fruttaldo (University of Naples L’Orientale)

The I-LanD Journal (http://www.unior.it/index2.php?content_id=15279&content_id_start=1& titolo=i-land-journal&parLingua=ENG) reflects a commitment to publishing original and high quality research papers addressing issues of identity, language and diversity from new critical and theoretical perspectives. All submissions are double-blind peer-reviewed. In fulfillment of its mission, the I-LanD Journal provides an outlet for publication to international practitioners, with a view to disseminating and enhancing scholarly studies on the relation between language and ethnic/cultural identity, language and sexual identity/gender, as well as on forms of language variation derived from instances of contamination/hybridization of different genres, discursive practices and text types.