[Corpora-List] 30 years of Alfa-informatica at the University of Groningen - Final Call for Participation

Barbara Plank bplank at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 13:36:43 CET 2017

30 Years Alfa-informatica

http://www.let.rug.nl/30years/

Friday, January 27, 2017

** News: **

- If you like to attend, please register by Sunday January 15, 2017 (via http://www.let.rug.nl/30years/register.php) - no registration implies no free lunch, but you are still welcome to attend!

- Titles of keynotes available

We cordially invite you to celebrate with us:

30 years of Alfa-informatica at the University of Groningen

Alfa-informatica started in 1986 as a study programme which included topics in Information Science, Humanities Computing, Artificial Intelligence, Information Technology and Language Technology. The study programme is nowadays called Information Science and focuses on Language Technology and Web Technology. Professor of Alfa-informatica, John Nerbonne, holds his farewell lecture on the day of the 30th anniversary.

We celebrate the 30th anniversary with a symposium for which we have a great lineup of invited speakers:

Harald Baayen (University of Tübingen): “How do French baboons distinguish between English words and pseudo-words?”

Mark Liberman (UPenn): “Visualizing prosody”

Max Louwerse (Tilburg University): “Explaining the world around us using language statistics”

Joakim Nivre (Uppsala University): “What is this thing called Universal Dependencies?”

In addition, the program will include presentations of local ongoing research. The full program can be found here: http://www.let.rug.nl/30years/programme.php

On the very same day, we have another special event:

January 27, 15:30: Farewell lecture / Afscheidscollege John Nerbonne

“Letteren, exact! / Humanities, exactly!”

One day earlier, Kilian Evang will defend his PhD:

January 26, 12:45: Public defense of Kilian Evang’s PhD thesis

“Cross-lingual Semantic Parsing with Categorial Grammars”

Save the dates, spread the word and come celebrate with us!

Participation is free, but registration is required via http://www.let.rug.nl/30years/register.php

The 30 years AI organizers

Johan Bos, Gosse Bouma, Kilian Evang, Rob van der Goot, Malvina Nissim, Gertjan van Noord, Dieke Oele, Barbara Plank, Martijn Wieling

Follow us on:

Twitter https://twitter.com/30yearsAI Facebook https://www.facebook.com/30yearsAI