[Corpora-List] Student contest: 2017 Babel Young Writers' Competition

Tristan Miller miller at ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Apr 29 15:57:03 CEST 2017

Dear all,

Below is a call for submissions to our magazine's contest for student writers. Contributions from undergraduate students of computational linguistics are most welcome.

Sincerely, Tristan Miller Babel Advisory Panel

-------------

This year, Babel: The Language Magazine <http://babelzine.com/> will once again be celebrating young linguists' insights into language with our Babel Young Writers' Competition. We will be publishing two articles representing both 16–18-year-old linguists and linguistics undergraduates. The articles will be published in Babel № 21, due out in November 2017. If you are a keen Babel reader or language lover, get writing to be in with a chance to get yourself published – as well as a free subscription to Babel!

Visit <http://babelzine.com/events> to read our previous winners and pick up some inspiration!

Young linguists have covered a wide range of topics, from British Sign Language to spoonerisms, and from the history of Romansch to the mixing of Korean and English.

16–18 Competition: Are you aged between 16 and 18 and would like to share your love of language with the world? Send us an article on any topic to do with language and linguistics to win the chance to begin your publishing career!

Undergraduate Competition: Are you studying for a linguistics-related degree and fancy a break from your usual assignments? Write a special essay for Babel readers and get the pleasure of seeing your work in print!

Entries must be no longer than 2500 words, in English, and deal with an interesting and accessible topic to do with language. Please e-mail your entry to editors at babelzine.com with the title "16–18 Competition" or "Undergraduate Competition".

16–18 Competition entrants must provide details of their institution and a teacher.

Undergraduate Competition winners must submit their entries from their university e-mail address (e.g. student at uni.ac.uk) and must provide contact details of a teacher at their institution.

The deadline for entries is Friday 25 August 2017. We will acknowledge receipt of your entry soon after receiving it, and announce the winners in October 2017. Good luck!

-- Tristan Miller, Research Scientist Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab (UKP-TUDA) Department of Computer Science, Technische Universitšt Darmstadt Tel: +49 6151 162 5296 | Web: https://www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de/